Choosing the right mineral makeup for you

September 28, 2008 at 6:23 pm 12 comments

Meli recently asked a question at the Bare Escentuals VS. Drug Store brand Mineral Makeup post:

I would be happy to get your thoughts on Bare’s Get Started kit. Quality vs price? Which one of the following would the best pick?  Bare, Maybelline or Everyday Minerals? What about L’Oreal?

Sincerely, thank you for your precious answers,  Meli

Hi Meli, so great to hear from you!  There are so many mineral makeup lines and so many factors to take into consideration.  Hope this information will help you make an informed decision!

Here are a few things to consider in choosing the best mineral foundation for you:

• Skin type.  Finding the right match of formula for your skin type, oily, dry, combination…
  • Skin color. Is your skin tone difficult to match, or do you tend to find a compatible shade easily?  Some complain that certain mineral makeups can look ashy or orange on their skin.
  • Convenience. Do you prefer to purchase this at your local drug store or do you mind ordering on-line, or going to a department store counter?
  • Price. A large range of prices when it comes to mineral makeup.

Here are my feelings on the specific mineral makeup brands you listed:

1.  L’Oreal’s mineral makeup is formulated with talc, so if you have sensitive or breakout prone skin, watch out!  Not recommended.
2.  Maybelline’s mineral makeup is best for those with normal or dry skin.  This is based upon many comments from a review at the Makeup Moxie website.  Another comment was that while they love this mineral foundation, but do not like the brush that is included.  I would suggest purchasing your own kabuki brush for optimum application.  If you have oily skin it will not work well for you, but it is a great value and you can purchase it at your local drug store.
3.  Bare Minerals is the most popular of all the mineral makeup lines, and many people love it.  I think it is best suited for those with oily skin.  For individuals with drier skin, it can accentuate fine lines and look flaky.  This line is more expensive, but their starter kits offer a better value ($30), and can be purchased online, department stores, and at Target.
4.  Everyday Minerals is a wonderful line and offers different formulas for different skin types (Original Glo, Semi-Matte, Matte, and Intensive) and at very reasonable price ($12 for a large container).  Their samples are generous and allow deciding which formulas are best for your skin.  Highly recommended for both quality and value.

My personal experience with mineral makeup is mixed.  My best results have been with the Everyday Mineral line, and that could be due to my specific skin type (combination skin and sensitive to breakouts) and I have liked their Original Glo and Semi-Matte formulas.  Ideally, I still prefer a liquid foundation or a tinted moisturizer.

My biggest complaints with SOME mineral makeup foundations are:

• The “itch” factor, my skin feels coated and slightly irritated by the mineral makeup
  • Some mineral powders can accentuate fine lines on my skin, and deposit in my laugh lines 😦
  • My skin ends up looking too matte and chalky
  • The powder can emphasize flaking and dry patches on my face

But I realize that with the right formula and the right skin type, your skin can look amazing while using a mineral makeup foundation.  Here are some other MBB posts on the subject of mineral makeup:

Best wishes Meli, and hope to hear what you end up using and how you feel about it.  JEN

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Beauty Bit: Do pre-foundation primers make a visible difference? 3 Winners of the Marini Lash Giveaway Announced!

• 1. kate2004rock  |  September 29, 2008 at 6:08 am

I wanted to add, Jen, that the BareEscentuals kits that are at Target stores are NOT authorized to be there by BareEscentuals. One of their wholesalers or distributors sold them to Target under breach of contract with Bare Escentuals. It’s like “bootleg” Bare Escentuals. Plus, a lot of those kits are a year or two old so I would definitely check the expiration dates on them if you are going to buy them.

• 2. kate2004rock  |  September 29, 2008 at 6:09 am

P.S. Have you worn Laura Mercier’s mineral foundation?

• 3. Jen Hill  |  September 29, 2008 at 7:24 am

That is good information to know. Buyer of BE at Target Beware!

Yes, I did try LM’s mineral foundation earlier this year, and I really liked it: Laura Mercier Mineral Makeup, although I didn’t purchase it at that time. I did purchase Px’s new mineral makeup a few months ago thinking it was a good fit for me. My skin was freaking out a bit, so I stopped using it. Now I have realized that reviewing several different skincare lines within a short period of time might have had something to do with it! 😉

Being a beauty guinea pig has its drawbacks! Thanks Kate!

• 4. Decorative Diva  |  September 29, 2008 at 2:06 pm

I didn’t like Everyday Minerals. Their colors didn’t match me well enough, and with their Semi-Matte formula I broke out. I was fine with their Original Glo.

I tried Revlon’s mineral makeup and it just seemed to be like their pressed powder crushed up, so not really mineral makeup. The brush that came with it sucked too.

I didn’t care for Lumiere’s mineral makeup foundation.

I LOVE Meow Cosmetics foundation best of all mineral makeup that I’ve tried. I have their foundation in Purrfect puss and Pampered puss.
    It’s really nice for my sensitive skin (I’ve got really sensitive skin, almost anything can set me off, my cheeks are sometimes dry and I’m dry between my eyebrows, but my chin and sometimes my forehead get oily).

Aromaleigh’s Mineral Makeup foundation is nice, too. I use the Glissade, which has silicone in it, coating the minerals so that it works well for my sensitive skin. Glissade is ideal for women with dry or sensitive skin, like my skin is.

I would agree that sometimes mineral makeup can be so drying that it accentuates fine lines. I have to use a really good moisturizer, or else I see the lines around my eyes. I went from using MAC Moisturefix foundation to using mineral makeup. I have found that if I mix my foundation with moisturizer right under my eyes, it tends to fix the problem.

Mineral makeup isn’t supposed to have an expiration date, if it’s really mineral makeup.

If your skin is looking chalky, it just may be a bad product for your skin type.

If your skin is looking too matte, you may want to check out a finishing powder or illuminating type of powder. I don’t like the matte look too much, but I like my skin to look smooth, so I use a highlighting powder and then an ultra resolution finishing powder, or a sparkly finishing powder, so that I have a bit of shimmer to my skin.

Anyways, I can’t recommend Meow Cosmetics foundation enough, you should try them out. Their samples are quite reasonable, at $1.00 each. http://www.meowcosmetics.com/Foundation.htm

I don’t use a primer, I just make sure that I moisturize my skin very well.

I do recommend their glow powders. I have the original Crystalline Cat Glow Powder, a full size of Morganite, and samples of Quartz and moonstone.

• 5. Jen Hill  |  September 29, 2008 at 3:09 pm

I am heading over to MEOW Cosmetics right NEOW! Thanks DD, you are a true Diva!

• 6. tracy m  |  September 29, 2008 at 4:19 pm

I’m one of those people who hate mineral make-up. It’s heavy, chalky and makes me look so much older- I’ve used Bare Minerals ID and L’Oreal. Ick ick ick.

• 7. kate2004rock  |  September 29, 2008 at 6:26 pm

I actually am not a mineral fan either, but I like to use the Laura Mercier as a powder.

• 8. Jen Hill  |  September 30, 2008 at 7:41 am

I ordered some of the Meow Cosmetics foundation samples and Cat Glow, so I will let you know what I think about it.

Thanks Tracy, sounds like you and I have similar skintypes and experiences with the mineral makeup.

That is a good idea to use LM’s mineral foundation as a powder, very smart idea Kate!

• 9. Decorative Diva  |  September 30, 2008 at 1:40 pm

I look forward to hearing what you think Jen 🙂
    What samples did you pick up to try?
    Their foundation names (and eye shadow names) all make me smile.

• 10. Jen Hill  |  September 30, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Primp & Preen: Crystalline Cat Glow Powder, Primp & Preen: Premiere Puss Primer Combo, Pampered Puss: 1-Sleek Chausie Munchkin, Concealer: 1- Sleek Chausie

They are really fun names! I am excited to try them as well (and got the 15% promo deal too).

• 11. Leeann @ Beauty Chat  |  October 2, 2008 at 9:36 am

Great information! I have a hard time using mineral makeup because it often doesn’t provide the coverage that I’m seeking. However, I did come across a brand that I like–Mineral Essence. It’s light, but covers blemishes.

Thanks for this wonderful post =)

• 12. Jen Hill  |  October 2, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Thank you Leeann. I really enjoyed reading your post today, “Problem Skin: That’s an understatement.

I haven’t tried the Mineral Essence line but will check them out. I will visit the Beauty Chat Blog again soon. Keep up the great work!

Jen