The Golden Goat, LLC: Handmade Soaps and Skincare

September 19, 2008 at 8:24 am 9 comments

One attribute I greatly admire is the art form of making things from scratch.  Anyone can throw a frozen pie into an oven, but to prepare a pie crust, roll it out and carefully lift and place it into a pie plate is a thing of beauty.  To peel and slice freshly picked peaches and pour them lovingly into your prepared pie crust is even more spectacular.

The ability to create and perform these once everyday actions are lost to many of us.  I cannot tell you the last time I rolled my own pie crust!  We use our rolling pin for play-doh these days.

The art of making handmade soaps is another amazing art form to me.  And lately, many independent handmade soap and skincare companies are appearing around the country.  Beautifully thought out and carefully manufactured beauty products from their own kitchens.

Today I would love to introduce to you Pam Keller the owner of The Golden Goat, LLC from the heartland of America, OshKosh, Wisconsin.

In 2003, Pam found her passion for animals, particularly goats.  Being a one income family, Jeff decided that the animals would have to pay for themselves so as not to affect the family budget.  Pam, being a researcher at heart, discovered numerous ways to fulfill that demand, and settled on soapmaking.

She taught herself to make soap, and when the goat milk started flowing, she was ready to start selling her fantastic products.  Local Farmer’s Markets and crafts fairs gave her a good footing and a loyal following.  Soon, the customers requested a retail store front from which they could buy her products year round.

The first product that caught my attention was The Golden Goat’s Goat Milk Shampoo Bar.  Being a fan of some different shampoo bars on the market, I found that this formula was easily equal if not a little more nourishing than the other shampoo bars I have tried (It must be the goat milk).  This shampoo bar creates a lovely lather and has a naturally sweet scent.  Shampoo bars are wonderful for anyone with a sensitive scalp, dry, or naturally curly hair (you can read more about my post on shampoo bars here).  If you are a fan of shampoo bars you must try this one!

A few months ago, we went out to dinner with some good friends.   I noticed that my friend Chris’ neck and face looked slightly irritated and also had a few knicks from shaving earlier that evening.   Chris has been bothered by this issue for as long as he has been shaving, and I asked him if he would like to try a different type of shaving soap.  He was more than glad to volunteer as a guinea pig!

Here is a bar soap for shaving.  The added bentonite clay forms a slick coating on the razor edge. The razor glides sleekly over the skin, cutting the hairs in its wake. Less scraping the skin means fewer nicks, no dry skin, more softness. Amazingly, the clay does not dry your skin!

You have to try this to believe it. Men love it for their faces (and some men shave their entire head with it), preventing razor burn and nicks. Women love it for legs, underarms, bikini area…

No more little red bumpos on your legs. Sleek, shiny, soft legs are the norm wth this soap. As an added bonus, your razors will last longer since the blades aren’t being dullled from scraping your skin!

Chris has been using The Golden Goat’s Goat Milk Shaving Soap for the last month and has reported significant improvements with his skin.  Less knicks, less irritation and a much happier face altogether.

No need to thank me, just doing my job Chris, just doing my job!

Not only does Pam create handmade soaps, she offers a variety of homemade skincare and cosmetic products at her online store, The Golden Goat, LLC.   I am confident you will find something that you will want to try, and Pam is so incredibly nice; you might even make a new best friend in OshKosh, WI no less!  Pam would like to sweeten the deal by offering $5 off any $15 plus purchase when you put MYTHS in the coupon box!  Thanks Pam!

Hey Tracy, can you send me your recipe for fresh Peach pie?

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

You have the right to remain curly and save at Jessicurl Beauty Bit Alert: Curly Hairsyles

• 1. Decorative Diva  |  September 19, 2008 at 11:11 am

It’s so cool you mention this. Just last weekend I made a cake from scratch, a red velvet cake. It actually turned out well! The only thing I’d ever made from scratch before that was blueberry muffins.

I’ve tried some made from scratch soaps and while I liked the scent, I couldn’t use them fast enough before they turned bad 😦

However, I’m still a fan of Lush’s Angels on Bare Skin for my face. That seems to last a good amount of time for a hand made product.

• 2. Skin Product report  |  September 19, 2008 at 11:30 am

I was wondering about Lush’s Angels on Bare Skin…thanks for the post.

As far as making a pie from scratch, well, 0-2.

• 3. tracy m  |  September 19, 2008 at 11:44 am

• 4. Jen Hill  |  September 19, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Yum, red velvet cake! Cake, muffins and soaps! Cosmetics are tricky because of the preservative issue; I had the same thing happen when I made my own homemade hair product.

If you keep this up, you might consider changing your name from Decorative Diva to Domestic Diva! 😉

Thanks Tracy, my family would be unbelievably thankful and surprised if I managed to make this! Your Garam Masala is now a regular on our dinner menu. Tonight I am making homemade white chili, with homemade chicken broth, white beans I soaked overnight, and canned green chilies. Anything else I should throw in the pot? Corn, carrots, seasonings? Help! I’m thinking a little cumin, salt and pepper…

• 5. Jami @ supermisc  |  September 19, 2008 at 2:58 pm

Jen, do you think that a shampoo bar would work with fine oily hair? I have had a very sensitive scalp lately and need to do something different.

• 6. Decorative Diva  |  September 19, 2008 at 5:50 pm

Lol, to be clear, I’ve never made soap, but I’ve bought homemade soaps to try. I’m a sucker for peppermint stuff and it felt great on my skin. It just went bad really fast. I bought it from Everyday Minerals, I think.

The Lush products seem to last a decent amount of time for handmade stuff, and so far, I’ve liked most of what I’ve tried. I have to be really careful of what I use though, since I have sensitive skin 😦 I can use their bath bombs, and AOBB, but some of their other stuff irritates my skin and gives me a rash. *sigh* The curse of sensitive skin.

I chose my current name because I do like all things decorative, from makeup to nail polish to hair to making curtains, pillows, costumes, jewelry, etc. I’ll give most things a try. I’ve even learned how to groom my standard poodle because I thought it would be fun to try.

As far as cooking, I’m addicted to peas. I love peas. I put them in stews, crock pot stuff, soups, and even my pasta sauces! So I’d say throw some peas in there!

• 7. Jen Hill  |  September 19, 2008 at 6:37 pm

The only problem with using a shampoo bar on oily, fine hair is that even after rinsing it leaves a bit of a waxy feel on your hair, and I am not sure how that would translate on finer, oily hair.

Pam offers a Dead Sea Hair and Scalp Treatment, that looks divine. It is not cheap ($45), but I am sure it would last for a long time. Write to Pam Pam@thegoldengoatllc.com, and see if she offers a trial size?

Wow DD, you are amazing and your poodle is adorable! If you haven’t already, I would love to see some posts of some of your work. I missed your comment before we ate dinner tonight, but next time I will try the peas. I actually served peas with some homemade mac and cheese this week, they are good!

• 8. Marilyn  |  September 20, 2008 at 1:51 pm

First of all, homemade pies are not hard – if you have the right recipe and the right teacher. Call me. Second of all, I might have to get Gary to try that soap. We’ll see….

• 9. Decorative Diva  |  September 22, 2008 at 1:06 pm

Here, I made a post just for you 🙂
    It has pictures of the stuff I made that I could find.