All About Eyes: The Tightliner Technique

September 11, 2008 at 10:51 am 9 comments

Earlier this year, I mentioned one of my favorite eyeliner techniques using a flat eyeliner brush with a gel or liquid liner to create a very thin or tight line on your lashline.   The “tightline” is a fabulous technique for individuals who want to naturally enhance their lashes.

I use Laura Mercier’s flat liner brush with Bleu Marine and it stays on great and looks fabulous. If you have thin or sparse lashes this is an awesome way to define your eyes and make your lashes look thicker!

“with my Laura Mercier’s Flat Liner Brush I dot Bleu Marine eye liner above and below the lashes, to thicken my lash line and add some Oomph!  I think it turned out pretty cool, imho!  The brush in this position probably makes you cringe, and you need to be careful with it.  This liner technique just needs a steady hand and some practice.”

An excellent video to help demonstrate how to apply the tight eyeliner or “tightliner” technique in detail is found at:  http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=487834.

Kate from Megsmakeup.com mentioned that a thin eyeliner, like Tarte’s emphasEYES (that comes in chocolate, plum, green or black) is another way to create the tightline look.

No matter which eyeliner you choose, the tightliner technique is something you must try!

Entry filed under: Cosmetics, Eyes. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Beauty Bit: Nail and Hairstyle Trends Fall 2008 What’s in Your Bonnet? Skincare and Balms

• 1. Jami  |  September 11, 2008 at 1:29 pm

I started this technique after you first mentioned it and it really works! I love using it with the gel eyeliners because they just seem to “smush” right into place.
    (I’m actually wearing it today!)

Thanks MBB. As always, your articles are super helpful!

• 2. tracy m  |  September 11, 2008 at 11:51 pm

My eyes water just watching you do this. I don’t think I can do it!

• 3. IFW  |  September 12, 2008 at 4:25 am

Before you showed this techique, I was an eyeliner abstainer – ecially during the daytime. Let’s just say I looked a little “too”…

I like using very, very dark eyeshadow, because I can do a little blending above for a nearly natural look.

THANK YOU!!

• 4. thebeautyguerrilla  |  September 15, 2008 at 2:58 pm

This is a great tip – thanks so much for the info!

• 5. Jen Hill  |  September 15, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Just do not attempt this if you are having low blood sugar, in an extreme rush, or in a car. Everyone once in a while I will slip and jab myself in the eye, owie. What we will endure for beauty, crazy!

Great to hear from all of you!

• 6. Mo  |  September 17, 2008 at 1:35 am

I really loved this look during the summer, when I didn’t want to look too made up but still wanted to highlight my “wow feature”, my eyes. I’m amazed at what a difference it makes!

• 7. Abby  |  September 25, 2008 at 11:47 am

I use the flat liner brush too. Makes it easier. I found though that the handles on many liner brushes are too long and when I get close to the mirror the handle gets in the way. I found a realy nice short one that lets me get close to the mirror. I stocked up on this one. Short Handled Liner Brush it is only four inches high.

• 8. Jan  |  October 13, 2008 at 4:59 am

Thanks for the mention of the Laura Mercier’s flat liner brush & other info. Will give that a go.

• 9. Jen Hill  |  October 13, 2008 at 6:27 am

And I forgot to mention, this eyeliner is budge proof and really lasts.

It is my favorite way to line my eyes, let me know how things go Jan!