Fall Dark Lips: Finding a Happy Medium

August 25, 2008 at 6:10 am 11 comments

While discussing the dark blood burgundy lip look in a recent post, “Dark Lips:  Va-va-Voom or Vampiress?” almost all agreed.  They love the color, but feel that not all can wear a dark matte liptick successfully.  I would classify myself as an example of one that “cannot.”

I love the idea of the dark lip shade; love the deep beautiful Bing cherry color.  This weekend I was able to visit a local beauty boutique in Park City called the Splendor Beauty Emporium, and perused the counters for a shade that could satisfy my desire for the dark lip look.  I opted for the NARS lip gloss in Rose Birman, a sheer cranberry (worn in this picture by Amanda).  I almost went for the next darker shade, Rose Gitane, which is classified as a sheer sangria.

My friend Bionic Beauty has fallen in love with NARS Lipstick shade in Captiva, which offers a sheer tint of currant, and would be perfect for those who are looking for a more sheer dark lip option.   If you are fan of Clinque, the immensely popular “Almost Lipstick” in Black Honey is a deeper sheer color that I would recommend trying.

Now, that I have found a happy medium on the dark lip look I would like to find a gorgeous gray eye shadow palette.   I have been looking at Stila’s Backstage Beauty Eye Shadow Palette– The Red Carpet Look.  The three pan grey palette along with a Smokey Quartz Kajal eyeliner looks ideal.

What beautiful fall trends are captivating your interest?

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Beauty Byte: Review of Chanel’s Active Serum Beauty Byte: NARS the Multiple

• 1. kate2004rock  |  August 25, 2008 at 12:11 pm

I’m inclined to think that going sheer on dark lips isnt really keeping with the trend. I think everyone can do it – it just will take a lot of searching to find an appropriate deep shade for your skin tone. If you’re going to be strict about it. But on the other hand,

that gloss looks LOVELY on her…and being so young, dark lipstick would definitely be GOTH and not seasonal.

• 2. Jen Hill  |  August 25, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Yeah, I see your point. I guess I need to keep shopping for my ideal shade then…

And I also agree, Amanda is gorgeous in this shade, but I’m a little biased because I am her Momma!

• 3. Decorative Diva  |  August 25, 2008 at 3:19 pm

I think you can do a dark lip if you put a gloss over it, the way MAC has done with the cult of cherry looks if you view the looks on their website. I’ve done a few lip looks on my blog with the dark lipstick and then lipglasses over them.

You might be able to wear Bing or Kirsch with a lovely lighter lipglass over it, such as Cherry Blossom. I think the gloss/shine is key to looking good with it, instead of just matte.

• 4. tracy m  |  August 25, 2008 at 3:26 pm

I love Black Honey.

Amanda looks beautiful.

• 5. Jen Hill  |  August 25, 2008 at 9:03 pm

That has clinched it, I am heading to the MAC counter to try these out. DecoDiva really rocks the Cult of Cherry shades.

Thanks Tracy, how do you like her black hair? We just colored it a few days ago.

• 6. kate2004rock  |  August 26, 2008 at 7:06 am

I just got the UD lipstick in Gravity and its reaaaalllly pretty! Look at that one Jen!

• 7. Jen Hill  |  August 26, 2008 at 7:25 am

Thanks Kate! I think I even had possession of this shade, but I always divide up my stash with Mo and friends. Dang!

I love the new UD lipsticks, but what do you think of the container? I’m not too crazy about the sword handle.

• 8. kate2004rock  |  August 26, 2008 at 4:37 pm

yeah they’re kind of hard to open. and that little sword pokes you! ouch!

• 9. Jami  |  August 27, 2008 at 8:21 am

Milani even has some dark shades I’m going to post about. They are very wearable so far. And Clinique has some dark lipsticks this fall with a little shimmer that really makes them wearable. I’m having a hard time deciding what to wear each day on my lips.. they are all SO DANG pretty!!

I adore Amanda’s hair!! And the Rose Birman is very nice with her eyes and hair! (I picked up the Gitane… 😀 )

• 10. Mo  |  August 27, 2008 at 9:36 am

That’s it, I’m going to get Black Honey today. I love it but it’s been years since I owned one. With the Gash lip pencil to darken it up, oh yeah. And I just went darker with my hair, so I think the contrast with my fair skin will be awesome!

• […] a few more suggestions? Check out Mythbuster Beauty’s tips on the Fall 2008 lip looks and stay tuned for Part 2 of this series with even more lip colors to embrace the dark lip trend of […]