Dark Lips: Va-va-Voom or Vampiress?

August 15, 2008 at 8:57 am 14 comments

With the popularity of the “Twilight” series by Stephenie Meyer, it is no surprise that the Dark Lip Trend is here.   Blood red burgundies are showing up all over in fall releases of many cosmetic lines.  These are some of the products being featured in the 2008 fall catalog of Sephora.  Deep liners, glosses and lipsticks from Urban Decay, Bare Escentuals, Benefit, Clinique, MAC, and Smashbox.

Sephora writes, “This fall, take a turn to the dark side,” followed by the statistic that 78% of those polled at the Sephora blog site love these moody hues.

These dark wine shades were popular in the mid-90’s.  I remember my cousin wearing this shade of lipstick for her wedding ceremony.  Not completely horrible, but noticeably very dramatic and easily dated, and I can still remember that she wore it.   My opinion is that these shades will look incredible on some, particularly those who pull off any dramatic look (Mo, DecoDiva) and for the rest of us, yikes!  It is what it is, a trend.

I’d like to ask you, what do you think of the Dark Lip Look?   Va-va-vooom or Vampiress?

And, if you are a”Twilight” series fan, Edward or Jacob?

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Beauty Byte: Makeup Felonies Beauty Byte: Hair Frizz Fighters

• 1. JASS  |  August 15, 2008 at 10:01 am

I think it depends. It’s not something you could wear everyday. But definitely something you can pull off with the right outfit, hairstyle, etc. I also think it’s more of a night out thing as opposed to a day look….but then again…..I rarely wear lipstick…I’m a glosser myself. But I do have dark tinted glosses too!
    I think if you feel it….than go for it.

• 2. tracy m  |  August 15, 2008 at 10:04 am

Vampiress. Very few people can pull it off well. I also think it makes most women look older. And I’m pretty set in that opinion…. 🙂

• 3. Decorative Diva  |  August 15, 2008 at 11:48 am

I like being a vampiress 🙂
    My character in one of the video games I work on is a vampire queen. So it fits for me.

I love dark, vampy lips!

• 4. Mo  |  August 15, 2008 at 3:41 pm

I think they’re great, but stay AWAY from matte or you’ll look beyond dated. Like early SAtC.Anyone remember Chanel’s Vamp era? I loved that stuff. I’m happy that there are more gloss options rather than just lipstick, now the trend can include everyone! I noticed when I saw the catalog that these colors just aren’t as dark as they have been in the past, much more wearable.

• 5. Mo  |  August 15, 2008 at 3:43 pm

And I really must add myself to the queue at the library to see what these Twilight books are all about. We camped in the author’s home town this summer, I came home and suddenly EVERYONE was talking about them.

• 6. Jen Hill  |  August 15, 2008 at 4:56 pm

Heavens yes Mo! Forks, WA is where most of the story takes place. You will loooove these books.

DD, you must be a pretty intense vampiress. Very fun!

• 7. Decorative Diva  |  August 15, 2008 at 6:04 pm

For the dark lip trend, I’m hitting MAC’s Cult of Cherry.
    I’m looking at the lipglasses in Cult of Cherry & Jampacked, and the Mattenes in Kirsch and Bing. I can layer the lipglass over the mattene, or wear the lipglasses on their own for vampy lips that don’t look old.

• 8. IFW  |  August 16, 2008 at 4:18 am

One of my sisters gave her daughters (and now her granddaughters) a list of things to do while you are young. I can’t remember the list, but one item sticks out in my mind: Wear red lipstick. She justly claimed that it was next to impossible to pull off once you were “older”. I’d say this trend falls into the same category.

• 9. Jami  |  August 18, 2008 at 10:50 am

I love it!! But I vary it a bit. I have created my own “Twilight” look using light lavendar eyeshadows, soft black mascara, and berry red lip stain.

Yes, I’m obsessed. But I found a name for my disorder. OCD. Obsessive Cullen Disorder. 😀

• 10. Jami  |  August 20, 2008 at 11:55 am

oh… i forgot to mention: I’m, of course, an Edward fan. mmm… Bite Me, Edward Cullen. 😉

• 11. Cordelia  |  August 21, 2008 at 9:48 am

Dark lips forever! I love a dark lip and a pale, subtle eye. I’m pretty excited about the Lubu lips everyone’s coming out with this fall.

Also: Jacob. Edward’s a tool. 🙂

• 12. Decorative Diva  |  August 22, 2008 at 1:08 pm

I’ve now done a FOTD with my Cult of Cherry Haul, as well as Lip Looks with the Cult of Cherry stuff. I’ll probably do some more today with some black glosses.

Here’s the fotd:

Here’s the lip swatches:

Please let me know what you think!

And have a great weekend!

• […] 25, 2008 While discussing the dark blood burgundy lip look in a recent post, almost all agreed.  They love the color, but feel that not all can wear a dark […]

• 14. Lydia  |  August 25, 2008 at 8:23 am

Hmm I guess I would file it under vampiress. I just don’t like it on me. Some people can pull it off though.