FGW: Press on what?!

August 13, 2008 at 12:34 am 9 comments

I am an unashamed sucker for novelties. Anything new or different, the wackier the better. So when I saw this, I just HAD to have it…

ColorOn EyeEnvy eyeshadow appliques. That’s a fancy way of saying press on eyeshadow. There are 6 color selections to choose from, I went with Rhapsody in Grey because I figured I should start out with something subtle so I could pass them off to less garish friends if I didn’t like them 😉 Each kit is available in Sephora stores or online for $25 each.

Thin, oval shaped, cotton pads with color printed right on ’em. You’re supposed to just press them on, dust with powder, and go. 5 pairs per pack, about two uses per pad meaning you can do your makeup two times with each pair*. So you’ll be paying about $2.50 to get your eyeshadow applied easily with one of the standard color choices. More than it would cost you using your own stash, sure, but hold on a second…

The color was easy to apply, once you manage to remove the pad from its backing. The pad stays put and doesn’t slide all over the place so pressing on it with your fingers is easier than you imagine. While the color felt a bit sticky it was easy to blend, just a few taps and a smudge or two. The setting powder took away most of the sticky feeling, but was easy to overdo, which leaves an overly matte and crepey look. Luckily, the excess powder can be mostly brushed away and wears off after a while. I tried “Charm” first (the middle color) and found it to be much more of a pastel lavender than it appears to be. The staying power was actually pretty admirable. I noticed creasing towards the end of the day, but later discovered that the clumped line could be easily brushed away without leaving gaping holes in the color. It rinsed easily away with my regular makeup remover and I had no reactions at all. I wish I would’ve chosen to try the Precious Metals, Tropics, or Smokey kits, but the light and happy colors from the Rhapsody kit are a nice fit for what’s left of our summer. I chose to stay away from the Flaunt kit because it appears to have an eyeliner-esque color at the bottom and I didn’t want to screw up on all of them if it was hard to apply.

I wouldn’t personally buy these for everyday use, the cost is just too high. Spend the money on a cosmetics lesson or get one for free at your favorite counter and spend the coin on some new goodies. BUT, if you need something for the occasional event or you want to keep something on hand for a last minute night out, these are a niche product that will serve you well. If you don’t usually apply your own eyeshadow and want an easy way to get gussied up for a special occasion, these are something you should try. And if you like new and crazy things like I do and have a little extra money to burn, go for it, they are fun!

*Isn’t there always a catch? If you want to try the really awesome cheetah print appliques in the Exotic kit, or the other patterns from that kit, you should know that they are left/right specific so you can’t use one for both eyes. I don’t know if you can cover them with clear film again to save for another use, so just figure you’ll get one use per pair.

freshly applied

Pad and powdered eye

The end result, with some liner and mascara

All ready to go

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

This ain’t your Momma’s Lipstick: Going Red Marilyn asked, and I attempt to please her.

• 1. kate2004rock  |  August 13, 2008 at 5:58 am

I’d pass on these. None of the colors are very true…it feels like your puttng thick, undiluted a Acrylic paint on your face. And they’re really hard to smudge. Though, if you like tacky (as it garish, not sticky)…you shouldn’t pass them off. Let’s make it easy for women to wear hooker eye-shadow!

• 2. Jen Hill  |  August 13, 2008 at 7:11 am

I took note of these Eye Envy appliques in the new Sephora catalog, and was hoping you would get a chance to try these! Personally I would probably pass on them, but Amanda went GA-GA! when she saw them. I didn’t realize they carried the subtle shades and smokey eye look. Pretty dang cool.

Thanks for the wonderful review Mo, awesome as usual!

• 3. Critty  |  August 13, 2008 at 9:46 am

Awwww, I wanted to see pictures! Especially of the camo!! lol!

• 4. tracy m  |  August 13, 2008 at 12:00 pm

They don’t do much for me in theory, but I did see them on Mo, and they looked good. I did think the leopard ones were WAY cool in the new Sephora catalog- for a special occasion, on the right person. I don’t think I can pull it off, though. 🙂

• 5. Decorative Diva  |  August 13, 2008 at 2:57 pm

I wanted to try the exotic prints, but opted not to. I know that Avon is selling the same sort of thing for $5.99, so if people want to try it, that’s a cheaper option:

I really enjoy putting on my eye makeup now that I know how to, so I’d probably only try these just to see what they were like.

• 6. Jen Hill  |  August 13, 2008 at 5:20 pm

Cool pics Mo. What happened to your haircolor? You went blonde!

• 7. tracy m  |  August 13, 2008 at 5:35 pm

It was PINK yesterday!!

The Avon ones are a good deal, if you really get 14 sets per $5.99. And, they’re getting good reviews.

• 8. Mo  |  August 13, 2008 at 7:40 pm

I was prepping for a new color and the boys liked this so I decided to keep it for a day. Tomorrow it will be different, as usual!
    The colors end up too matte for me to wear them regularly, but as I said, for a shtick item they’re okay.

• 9. jennifer bowen  |  August 17, 2008 at 5:35 am

wow how cool puting on make up just got a little easyer lol what will thay think of next