I agree, not to prime IS a crime!

August 7, 2008 at 7:57 am 10 comments

“Not to Prime is a Crime!”– Napoleon Perdis

Okay, that statement is a bit dramatic, but if there is one cosmetic product that I would recommend you add to your daily makeup application, it would be a primer.  And Why?  Glad you asked.

Facial Primers:

•  Allows your foundation to glide over the skin (so you actually use less foundation)
  •  Soothes the skin and fills in fine lines and imperfections for a more flawless complexion
  •  Helps makeup last longer and stay in place
  •  Generally contain soothing ingredients like chamomile, and antioxidants that can protect and hydrate the skin

I recently met with the Napoleon Perdis Team at Cosmoprof and was given their Auto Pilot Pre-Foundation Primer to try.  I am already a believer in using pre-foundation primers, and Napoleon’s formulation has earned a top contender status, among my other favorites like Alison Raffaele’s Face Forward and N.V. Perricone’s Ceramic Skin

Some of my favorite aspects of this primer is how light the consistency is.  Many primers (like Smashbox’s) feel a bit too heavy on my skin because of a high amount of dimethicone.  Napoleon got it just right here.  I also like the slightly floral and natural fragrance.  Napoleon’s primer added chamomile, yarrow extract, and vitamin e to soothe and add moisture without giving your face a lot of silicone slip.  This primer leaves my skin feeling soft, natural and looking even.  Sorry Bionic Beauty, NP’s primer adds glycerin.  Now that I have been aware of people with glycerin sensitivities, I have been watching for it in ingredient lists and am amazed how many times I find it!

Napoleon Perdis Auto Pilot Pre-Foundation Primer sells for $39.00 for .24 fl.oz

And don’t just take my word for it; Teri at Beautiful Makeup Search gave NP’s primer a great review as well:  http://www.beautifulmakeupsearch.com/beauty-blog/2008/7/15/not-to-prime-is-a-crime.html.

Entry filed under: Cosmetics, Primers. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

FGW: So you want crazy hair? The Photoshop Trick: Is she even human?

• 1. tracy m  |  August 7, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Hey Jenny- is Napoleon affiliated with Rachel Perry at all? The packaging is remarkably similar:

• 2. Jen Hill  |  August 7, 2008 at 12:33 pm

They both definitely have the same art deco look to their lines, but I am guessing that they are not affiliated with each other. Rachel Perry is based out of CA, and Napoleon Perdis is an Australian company. However, I could be wrong. 😉

• 3. Decorative Diva  |  August 7, 2008 at 1:23 pm

I’ve never used a foundation primer.
    I just put on moisturizer before I put on my foundation.
    I let the moisturizer sink in while I’m doing my eye makeup, and then move on to the foundation.
    Since I don’t have oily skin, I’ve never really seen the need.
    Now I’m curious as to what I’d look like with primer, though I use mineral makeup foundation, and lately a finishing powder, and I feel like my skin looks pretty close to flawless.

• 4. Jen Hill  |  August 7, 2008 at 2:05 pm

You do have absolutely flawless skin DD, and be proud!

I am curious what you would think of a primer though. Next time you go to Sephora or a department store, ask for some primer samples. I would suggest Prime Time from Bare Escentuals, Napoleon’s, Perricone’s Ceramic Skin, or Laura Mercier’s. Laura Mercier has a hydrating primer and so does Alison Raffaele. Let me know what happens. 🙂

• 5. Annette Kerr  |  August 7, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Primers are a must for people with tired, dull skin – to give their complexion an extra little pep. If you have been burning the candle, a light-reflecting primer will make you look more fresh-faced! Primers are also great for evening out your skin-tone.

Decorative Diva’s advice re letting your moisturiser sink in before applying foundation is spot on! I always tell my clients to cleanse, tone & moisturise, then get dressed and fix their hair before applying their make-up. If you apply your foundation straight after moisturising it will clog and look patchy!

• 6. Xina  |  August 7, 2008 at 7:06 pm

I agree Annette. I applied my make-up straight after applying my sun lotion because I was running very late. Believe me, it wasn’t a good look. My make-up was looking very oily in no time.

I’ve not tried a primer before and will look out for a natural one here in the UK to see what it’s like.

Thank you for the informative post and comments!

• 7. kate2004rock  |  August 7, 2008 at 7:45 pm

Jen, sometimes I really start to wonder if you aren’t my brother from another mother. Besides the very valid and excellent reasons you mentioned, you need a primer as an extra layer of hyrdration for your skin to sponge in before it starts getting to the moisture in your makeup which causes the “cover” to fall off. I’ve tried quite a few. I LOVE Laura Geller’s Spackle and you get a BIG ole tube for $21.50! I recently got Stila’s NEW hydrating primer. I like the feeling ok, but the scent needs a little bit of work.

• 8. Jen Hill  |  August 7, 2008 at 7:55 pm

I would glady be your brother Kate! I totally forgot about Laura Geller’s Spackle! That is a great primer, and thank you for mentioning it.

I don’t think Boot’s No. 7 Restore & Renew Beauty Serum is all natural, but it is a pretty decent primer lotion, reasonably priced, and I know they carry it in the UK. Let me know what you find Xina!

• 9. Mo  |  August 12, 2008 at 9:15 am

I thought I was the only person who felt like Smashbox’s primer was too heavy. Hooray, I’m not insane!
    I’m still pretty much sold on Tarte’s primer, though I did really like the light feeling of Napoleon Perdis, it was something between a primer and a moisturizer. I don’t know that I’m SOLD on their eye primer yet though.

• 10. NP Set Cosmetics at Target « Mythbuster Beauty  |  September 16, 2008 at 6:42 am

[…] of my positive experiences while recently reviewing some of Napoleon Perdis’ cosmetics (Auto Pilot Pre-Foundation Primer and Long Black […]