In search of a fabulous Waterproof Mascara

July 20, 2008 at 10:08 pm 8 comments

Jami recently asked:

“Mascara. Does anyone know of a truly water and smear proof mascara? I used to use Marathon, which required cold cream to get it off, but never melted on me. I have tried about five different brands of waterproof mascara since they took Marathon off the market, but all of them smear within the hour.”

I remember good ol’ Marathon Mascara! “Marathon looks just put on until you take it off!” Such a nice jingle!

Although I like the idea of using a waterproof mascara, I have shied away from them because of the industrial-strength stiff lashes that result, and how difficult it can be to remove.

I have been using and would highly recommend trying a really nice “middle-weight” mascara:

Clinique’s Lash Power Mascara Long Wearing Formula ($14)

One stroke and these pretty lashes last through rain, sweat, humidity, tears. Yet the formula removes easily with warm water. Unique brush reaches and beautifully lengthens even the tiniest lashes. Ophthalmologist tested, too.

Innovative thermal sensitive technology that helps it stay put for 24 hours is easy to remove. Use fingertips to splash warm water (bath temperature is ideal) on lashes several times and press gently. Or, wet a cotton pad with warm water, press to eye, then wipe away.

I have found that this mascara offers both staying power and adds great volume without feeling stiff and being impossible to remove. I have had no smudging issues while using this, but I also live in a very dry climate. For $14.00, it is definitely at a more affordable price than some prestige makeup brand mascaras. It can easily be removed with warm water or your eye makeup remover.

In a recent post asking our readers to list their favorite mascaras, both Maybelline and L’Oreal topped as favorites.

L’Oreal Paris: Telescopic Lengthening & Lash By Lash Separating Mascara

Maybelline New York: Maybelline New York Define-A-Lash Mascara

You could try their waterproof variations and see if you have any success.

My friend Jami at Bionic Beauty swears by Physicians Formula’s Mineral Wear Mascara. Unfortunately this is not made in a waterproof formula. I love tarte’s Lights, Camera, Lashes! Mascara, and they carry a tarte’s Lights, Camera, splashes! mascara, but have heard mediocre reviews of this waterproof formula. I just stumbled upon another new tarte mascara that I haven’t heard of before, tarte’s 4 day stay: lash stain with PolyFlex™ technology, has anyone tried this one yet?

Keep lashes looking naturally full for 4 days without reapplying! Our new PolyFlex™ technology allows mineral derived pigments to adhere to lashes for extended wear-time while keeping them soft and flexible – so whether you’re hitting the pool or the shower this gentle lash stain will keep lashes looking fresh, and won’t fade or flake!

This sounds like something worth trying as well!

I am open to any other suggestions. Let’s help Jami find an incredible waterproof mascara! And Jami, please keep us posted on what you try and if you have any success. Best, Jen

Entry filed under: Cosmetics, Eyes. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

My Pride and Joy Urban Decay’s Baked Bronzer

• 1. Sammy  |  July 21, 2008 at 4:37 am

How about one of the “tube” mascaras? Blink Kiss Me has so far stood up to everything for me this summer. And it doesn’t trash my lashes to remove.

• 2. jen38  |  July 21, 2008 at 12:57 pm

My hair stylist faves about Blinc’s mascara too! It will run you about $25 for a tube of Kiss Me. Thanks Sammy!

• 3. Jami (a different one)  |  July 21, 2008 at 3:15 pm

OK, I’ll save up my pennies and give them a try. I’ll stop at the first one that works. I’m thinking that any cosmetic country in the world that wants to make a waterproof mascara should run it by me. I could offer a seal of approval “This mascara didn’t melt on Jami [a different one]. It certainly won’t melt on you.”

• 4. Jami (a different one)  |  July 21, 2008 at 3:16 pm

Oh and thanks for looking into it for me.

• 5. Decorative Diva  |  July 21, 2008 at 6:58 pm

I really like Almay’s Triple Effect Waterproof Mascara. It works very well for me, and my problem is often that mascaras will transfer under my eye, which doesn’t look good.

• 6. Jami  |  July 22, 2008 at 10:50 am

Can I just say that I love that there’s two Jami’s on here and we’re spelled the same?! Jami- do you always get people confused when you spell your name for them? Like if I’m on the phone and someone asks my name I saw J-A-M-I and they go “andd….” no And. Just J-A-M-I.

Anyhow, back to mascara’s… Maybelline: blech. But that’s just my thoughts. I get blood spots on my eyes everytime I try one of theirs.
    I’ve heard some okay things about Cover Girl’s Lash Blast and it has a similar rubber wand as the one that’s in my beloved Physicians’ Formula Mineral Wear.

Now, back to Jami… were you named after the Bionic Woman too? 🙂

• 7. Jami (a different one)  |  July 22, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Yes, people get a little flipped out spelling our name. I used to spell it J-a-m-i-no e. As if “no e” was a letter. Then I got too old to care. When I was young people used to tease me that I had a boy’s name, and then when I was about eight the bionic woman showed up and can I just tell you I STILL love Lindsey Wagner. God bless her for giving me a girl’s name!

• 8. kate2004rock  |  July 23, 2008 at 8:49 am

Cargo’s Better-than-Waterproof is my new favorite. Stays on while you’re swimming laps but when you get warm water on it rubs off in gummy flakes and you don’t lose all your eye-lashes in the process.