FGW: I didn’t even like lavender

July 1, 2008 at 11:02 pm 6 comments

Until I found the real deal.

During an exquisite anniversary getaway to San Juan Island, my husband and I happened across the Pelindaba Lavender Farm. Pelindaba (pel-in-DAH-buh) is the Zulu word for “place of great gatherings”. Open day or night to painters and photographers, offering display space for sculptures, hosting a free admission Harvest Festival each year, and participating in several other local and international endeavors, Pelindaba more than lives up to its name.

Pelindaba’s farming and distillery have been certified organic. When you buy essential oil from Pelindaba, all you get is pure lavender, no extra additives like pesticides. In addition to their oil and hydrosol (floral water produced during the steam distillation of essential lavender oil), they offer a dizzying array of body, cleaning, cooking, and decorative items.

The facial toner and cleanser is light and refreshing. Since it’s a natural antiseptic it’s been really great for my blemish prone skin. It’s remarkably good at removing makeup, and because it’s natural the scent isn’t overpowering. Having experienced many lavender scented items throughout my life, I was amazed to find that actual lavender smells nothing like them! It was like the difference between watermelon flavored gum and an actual watermelon. Sign me up for the real thing, because it is so much better than 99% of the stuff out there.

For a truly adventurous experience, might I suggest trying a few of their lavender infused culinary products. Honey mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper, chutney, honey, sugar, chocolate sauce…the list is amazing! White Chocolate Chip Lavender cookies and a big glass of Lavender Lemonade are now some of my favorite treats. Somehow the addition of lavender to a glass of lemonade makes it ever so much more refreshing on a hot day.

The retail spaces are well laid out and inviting, and the gift packaging is simple and beautiful. They offer a wide variety of gifts sets and I found something to please everyone on my list. The staff was friendly, helpful, and it is obvious they really believe in what they do and what they sell. Their emphasis on Quality over Quantity is refreshing and truly leads to a better product.

With a retail space at the farm, in Friday Harbor, and in Seattle, as well as a full offering of products online, anyone can experience the benefits of products that come from a farm that really cares. Lavender is calming and soothing. It’s great for tension relief, but lavender’s benefits go much further. It’s an all natural disinfectant, topical analgesic, and even an anesthetic. Hey, if you can find something else with all those qualities that tastes as good in a chocolate truffle as lavender does, let me know!

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

4:00 Days to Save your Skin Bionic Beauty Tests the Thermaclear Acne Clearing Device

• 1. xinab  |  July 2, 2008 at 5:24 am

How lovely!! Lavender in chocolate? Yum!!!

• 2. Jen Hill  |  July 2, 2008 at 5:46 am

How beautiful! Mo sent me the most delightful package of spa goodies (foot scrub, soap, lavender oil, body salts, body butter) from this lavender farm. Thank you so much Mo; what a treat!

• 3. hairyshoefairy  |  July 2, 2008 at 7:31 am

Ooh! I’m so jealous! I love lavender – the real stuff. This farm sounds awesome.

• 4. Marilyn  |  July 2, 2008 at 9:38 am

Lavender is easy to grow, too. It is extremely drought tolerant. Seventh Generation products are all available in natural lavender scents. I use their dish soap, laundry detergent, and softener exclusively. ALSO – I bought my visiting granddaughter a lavender- filled plush monkey at The Golden Braid. She adores it! They carry other wonderful lavender products as well. But the best is your own – what you grow in your garden – I love it!!

• 5. tracy m  |  July 2, 2008 at 7:20 pm

Mo gifted me with Lavender Lemonade, and can I just say- it’s delightful, elegant, and has a note of something you just can’t easily classify- but it makes for a very special special-occasion beverage. I wouldn’t waste it on my kids, but for a baby shower or a dinner with friends- it’s scrumptious.

Love the pictures!

• 6. Jami  |  July 3, 2008 at 11:34 am

I normally (totally) dislike lavender, but when I smelled the real thing I realized it’s just the overprocessed scent that society wants us to believe is lavender that I don’t enjoy.

Thanks Mo for this wonderful article!! I hope you had a fantastic trip and got to relax and enjoy San Juan!