Mission Impossible: Shopping for My Mother

May 9, 2008 at 1:19 pm 7 comments

Mother’s Day, Ugh!  This is a post about why my Mom is the hardest person on the planet to buy something for.  Let me explain.

My Mom is a beauty minimalist.  She doesn’t wear foundation, and cannot wear eye makeup.  Very sensitive eye issues make it impossible for her to wear mascara or eyeshadow.   She uses her lipstick on her lips and than dabs some on for her blush and voila!  She’s gorgeous.

[What do you think Mo, does her hair style look familiar to you?  Yes, that is me in agony on Santa’s lap.]

She loves antiques and collectibles, but I never go to auctions or to flea market shops where they sell these things.  First, I have no idea how to assess anything there accurately, I don’t enjoy bartering, and it is a nightmare bringing small kids into places that have wall to wall breakables.  My Mom could literally host the “Antique Roadshow” on PBS, and unfortunately I am completely clueless in this arena.

I really don’t know what she has or doesn’t have.  We live 2,000 miles away from eachother and I am not up to speed about what she needs.  She has also lived out the country for 4 of the last 6 years overseas in Cambodia and Indonesia.

She loves jewerly, but the good 18K kind, and real gems.  Big bucks, sorry Mom, no can do!

She loves to gamble.  Lottery tickets might work!?

Maybe just a card, with some cash.  Oh, crap, she isn’t even home right now.  She is out visiting her family in MA and selling her wares at the Brimfield Antique and Collectibles Show!  My card won’t get to her on Mother’s Day, but this Smilebox slide show will have to suffice.  If you are at Brimfield this week, and recognize this woman, tell her I honestly tried!  She doesn’t even own a cell phone!!!

Click to play Mother's Day
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

I love you Mom!  The only person probably more difficult to buy a present for is me. 🙂

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Safe is the New Sexy: Sunless Tanners Sephora’s Sun Safety Kit: 11 travel-size items for $25

• 1. kimnixon  |  May 9, 2008 at 2:07 pm

Spa day–call her local area and get her a massage or pedicure. Birdfeeder, hummingbird feeder, flowers, artwork you have done, write something. A new photo of you, the you now. Does she have a puter–if so how about making her a screen saver.

• 2. jen38  |  May 9, 2008 at 3:53 pm

OMG! She would love a reflexology appointment!!! Why have I never thought of this before.

Oh I love the power of the blog. Thank you so much.

• 3. Jami  |  May 10, 2008 at 5:58 am

You did a fantastic job on the slide show! Your mom is beautiful. I love the photo of you both during her recent trip to Utah. 🙂

Happy Mother’s Day to you both!

• 4. Jen Hill  |  May 10, 2008 at 9:18 am

Thank you Jami! My daughter Lorinda picked the accompanying music with the slide show. After watching this my other daughter asked, “So who is the Beast in this?”

While Becca (2) was watching this, the music “got to her” emotionally and she started sobbing!

Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Mother’s Day to you too!

• 5. tracy m  |  May 11, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Happy Mothers Day, Jen. I hope it was lovely!

• 6. Jen  |  May 11, 2008 at 9:10 pm

I hear you, Jen. My Mom is easy to shop for, but my father is impossible! And–dear God–Father’s Day is right around the corner!

• 7. jen38  |  May 12, 2008 at 7:27 am

Luckily my Mom checked my blog and her emails yesterday. She loved the slideshow and the post.

I had a wonderful Mother’s Day yesterday, breakfast made by my girls, great spring weather, and a visit with Evan’s family.

Good luck on Father’s Day, yikes!