Sunday Sermon: Prayer of the Children

May 4, 2008 at 12:35 pm 5 comments

In January of 2008, I wrote an article called “Prayer of the Children” inspired by a picture that I took of my daughter Becca, the Ouelessebougou Utah Alliance, and a musical piece by Kurt Bestor.  Little did I know that a few months later, they would all strangely collide at a fund-raising dinner for the Ouelessebougou Utah Alliance.

Last night at the fund raiser, Kurt Bestor was in attendance and performed his “Prayer of the Children.”  Much to my surprise, I was not aware that Kurt was affiliated with this group, or that he performs this piece annually at this fundraising event.  The realization was a bit surreal for me.  Kurt sings while using an amazing electronic synthesizer, that shapes his voice into varying frequencies and allows him to harmonize according to his wishes.  I had no idea that he was the only one singing this in the music video.  I just assumed it was a group of men singing harmony.  Mind blowing performance Kurt!

Last night, I also took away some important messages from a speech given from Mali’s Ambassador, Abdoulaye DIOP, who spoke about the immense diversity of Africa, that the stories are not all negative, and that although aid is needed, what is also needed is training and working with their Governments so that they can help themselves.

This is a picture taken of my youngest daughter Becca in December 2007, playing out in the snow.  It is hard to imagine not being able to provide for your child.  I feel so blessed to be able to feed, provide health care, and all the modern-day benefits that I desire to give her.

Becca Praying

Mali has suffered from long-standing drought since the mid-1980s and is among the five poorest countries in the world. The Ouelessebougou (Oo-less-a-boo-goo) Utah Alliance has worked cooperatively with villagers to address the most basic human needs.  I would also like to share Kurt Bestor’s song with you.  May all our prayers make the world a better place and may the prayers of all God’s children be answered.

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

To My Small Town Friends Ode to Evan and Jen: 17 years together!

• 1. Marilyn  |  May 5, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Thanks for the inspiration, Jen!

• 2. jen38  |  May 5, 2008 at 9:59 pm

Next Christmas we should attend Kurt Bestor’s Christmas concert together.

What are you two doing this weekend? In the mood for some Thai food?

• 3. Marilyn  |  May 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm

We’re actually going to our son-in-law’s thesis show in Ft. Collins. How about the next weekend?

• 4. jen38  |  May 6, 2008 at 6:49 am

Evan and I are taking the kids on a road trip on the 17th. We are free the weekend of the 24th though!

Congrats to your son-in-law and have a fun, safe trip to WY.

• 5. Marilyn  |  May 6, 2008 at 9:05 am