FGW: Urban Decay Brings the Sun

April 30, 2008 at 7:45 am 6 comments

I’m what most people call pasty.  Any paler and I’d be clear, ya know what I’m saying?  Thankfully, pale is coming back in style, but many a summer of my youth was filled with laughter at my brightly shining gams poking out of a pair of shorts. Never one to conform, I went out and bought just about every self tanner I could find from the moment I learned what it was. I was kidding about the non-conforming part, I wanted to look like everyone else. Back in the day I ended up looking more like a distant cousin to the carrot, but self tanners have made a lot of progress since then.

Urban Decay’s Santa Tanita Body Bronzer is unlike anything I’ve tried before. For starters, it’s a light airy mousse that comes from a unique spray can. A nice poufy blob covers your lower leg or most of your arm. The lightly colored mousse gets a little darker as you rub it into your skin, leaving a perfect guide to see where it’s been applied, reducing the chances of streaking. It also leaves a subtle shimmer all over and adds to that “sun kissed” look.

There are a few things that set this bronzer apart from others. One is the smell. Lightly scented and not at all chemically like some. I’ve actually had people remark on the scent of some of those gradual tan lotions when I put them on before work or a day running errands. I’m sure my friends know my tan is fake, but I’d rather not announce it to the rest of the world. The best feature this bronzer has to offer, by far, is the speed with which it sinks in and dries. Once you’ve got it all rubbed in you can tell, there’s no slick or greasy feeling left and you can put your clothes on immediately! There is nothing worse than putting on self tanner and then sitting on the edge of your bed or couch half naked for the next 15-20 minutes waiting for it to dry so that you don’t stain your outfit.

But your real concern is all about the color, right?  Does it make you orange? Do you look tanorexic? Please tell me it won’t turn me into George Hamilton!!  Well, decide for yourselves:

On your right is my leg au naturel, on the left is one quick application of Santa Tanita. I was happy with the subtle color change. Anything too dark on me would look funny. The color is buildable and it’s so quick and easy to use that getting a little extra color is a snap.  Ghost white is totally hot right now, but should you want a dash of sun-kissed bronze without  exposure to all those harmful UV rays, Santa Tanita just might be the perfect product for you!

P.S.  The night I sent this post out I applied a second, more liberal, amount of Santa Tanita Body Bronzer. The yellowish-orange cast on my legs led my husband to remark that it looks like I went to a tanning salon and went a little overboard.  The lesson to be learned here is that a light hand is the way to go with this product!

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Gorgeously Green and suki® skincare Urban Decay “Showers to Flowers” Tally

• 1. jen38  |  April 30, 2008 at 11:27 am

Does anyone else remember the sunless tanning product called “QT” or Quick Tan by Coppertone? I had the freakiest orange and blotchy looking tan after slathering it on in 5th grade.

Sunless tanners have come a long way baby!

• 2. Jami  |  April 30, 2008 at 12:25 pm

oh Jen, I remember that QT! Ugh, what a mess that stuff made. I remember scrubbing at my hands and knees trying to get some of the orange off.

An Mo Mommy, it’s inevitable for me… when my self-tanner is drying, the phone rings, someone comes to the door and i’m stuck standing there trying to “dry”. Too funny!

• 3. tracy m  |  April 30, 2008 at 3:38 pm

I lived in QT in junior high!! Mixed it with Bain de Soliel gelee and turned ooooh-range!

• 4. jen38  |  April 30, 2008 at 4:43 pm

I am so nostalgic now!

Remember those “Bain de Soliel for the St. Tropez tan” commercials! I used to covet that woman’s tan!

• 5. mo mommy  |  May 1, 2008 at 8:41 am

Fwiw, this stuff also lasts quite a while. I applied it 4 days ago and I still have some color. I exfoliate everyday too, so I consider even fading a good trait. no blotches here!

• […] 8, 2008 As Mo pointed out, warmer weather brings about new skin challenges.  Many of us are looking for a safer, effective, […]