Beauty and the “Big Green Purse”

April 21, 2008 at 7:44 am 10 comments

Tuesday April 22nd has been designated as Earth Day for 2008. Thousands of individuals and organizations will be taking action to a make positive, healing impact on our world.

This past January, I was able to meet a fascinating and extremely smart woman named Diane MacEachern. Diane MacEachern is the author of, Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World.” Her book discusses the fact that women make the majority of all purchases, and by their purchasing choices, can make a significant difference in what is being manufactured and protecting our environment.

The Big Green Purse Shopping Principles:

1) Buy less.
2) Read the label.
3) Support sustainable standards.
4) Look for third-party verification.
5) Choose fewer ingredients.
6) Pick less packaging.
7) Buy local.

Diane asks women to take a $1,000 green spending challenge; shifting the money we already spend and purchasing eco-friendly goods and services. She also challenges us to cut down our use of daily household products by three. I am a poor example of cutting my own personal care items because of my beauty blogging obsession. However, I would like to point out that I have made some changes and switched over to some environmentally safe beauty and household products this year.

You might be saying, “Buying organic might be great, but it comes a hefty price, and my family cannot afford it.” Making eco-friendly consumer choices can cost more, but not necessarily. On her webiste, Diane lists herTop 10 ways to be eco friendly on a budget.” She claims by making these changes we could save $20 – $50 dollars on our monthly budget.

There are several beauty companies that are making changes and becoming more eco-friendly by choosing not to use chemicals, preservatives, colors, and fragrances that can be harmful to our environment as well as our health. Many beauty companies are going green by using only recyclable and biodegradable packaging. Here are some of my favorite eco-friendly beauty companies:

Tarte

To celebrate Earth Day, Tarte Cosmetics is offering 20% off of all purchases at their website.

Some of my personal favorite Tarte products are: Smooth Operator spf 20 foundation, Clean Slate Primer, Cheek Stains, and their double dose berry lip glosses. All of Tarte’s products are packed with healthy, natural ingredients and free of mineral oil, sulfates, phthalates and synthetic fragrances. To receive the 20% off discount, enter the Code: EARTH08 at checkout. This offer is good until May 2, 2008.

Jessicurl

Jess McGuinty created the Jessicurl hair care line after years of using products that didn’t work for her curly hair. The Jessicurl line uses only ingredients that offer a specific benefit to curly hair, and adds no fillers. Jessicurl makes sure that none of their products contain any animal ingredients, and they do not test on animals.

Sukipure and Sukicolor

Suki conforms to many of Diane MacEachern’s shopping principles, including being involved in many third-party verification groups, such as The Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics, The Organic Consumer’s Association, and The Green Products Alliance.
Suki’s formulas are 100% natural, and are ideal for those with sensitive skin. Suki only uses non-synthetic ingredients in her beauty and body care products.

What will you be doing to celebrate Earth Day 2008?

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Somewhere Over the Rainbow… FGW’s: Tarte’s Clean Slate Primer

• 1. Marilyn Hansen  |  April 21, 2008 at 9:16 am

I will most likely be doing my laundry – I use 7th Generation products. The bonus of having an extremely allergic husband is that I am forced to be earth-friendly. I can’t use any cleaning or personal products with fragrances that can irritate Gary’s allergies. That’s why I use Clinique products and Pureology hair products. And, whenever possible, I use organic food in most everything I cook.

• 2. tracy m  |  April 21, 2008 at 5:33 pm

What will I do?? I will go to Tarte to irresponsibley spend money that Urban Decay didn’t want to take!

• 3. jen38  |  April 21, 2008 at 6:00 pm

I am soooo tempted to buy some tarte as well. I who have enough makeup to last a decade.

I am glad Gary’s allergies are good for something. I recently tried a new laundry detergent from Costco. It works for HE washers and has a nice, natural lavendar scent. As a bonus, it is slightly less expensive than the regular Tide I usually purchase.

Have any of you tried an eco-friendly household product that removes mildew from grout effectively? And don’t you dare say a scrubber and some “elbow grease!”

• 4. Marilyn Hansen  |  April 21, 2008 at 7:20 pm

Right off the top of my head, I can’t think of one BUT the cleaning aisle of Whole Foods (previously Wild Oats) has some killer products, including a laundry stain remover that kicks butt! I will just bet they have a mildew remover also! You could try a homemade remedy by dissolving ½ c. borax in warm water then mix with ½ c. vinegar. Apply with a sponge or spray bottle. Good luck!!

• 5. Bionic Beauty  |  April 22, 2008 at 9:45 am

I second the vinegar/borax mix. I use Apple Cider Vinegar in mine. Or you can dilute Tea Tree Oil and a little Borax, smells nice and it works darn well. Let it sit for awhile.

What will I do on Earth Day? Well, my plants are planted, so I guess I will be blogging. 🙂

Thanks for the earth-friendly roundup MBB!

• 6. vhiel  |  April 22, 2008 at 10:45 am

Hello there

Blog hopping here. check out my contest for mothers day .. i am giving away a kitchen ceramics set consist of salt & pepper shaker and oil/vinegar.

Hope you can join in..

Thanks
    Vhiel
    Can of Thoughts
    Designs By Vhiel

• 7. vhiel  |  April 22, 2008 at 10:47 am

Hope you can join in..

Thanks
    Vhiel

• 8. tracy m  |  April 22, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Bad manners, Vhiel. Sorry, but you don’t just hop into someone’s post, not bother to read, and plug your own.

• 9. Diane MacEachern  |  April 24, 2008 at 6:27 am

Thank you so much for the excellent review of Big Green Purse. And thanks, too, for helping women get to the truth behind the beauty myths that often rule our lives! Best, Diane MacEachern, Author, Big Green Purse

• 10. Jen Hill  |  October 30, 2014 at 6:31 am

Reblogged this on Mythbuster Beauty and commented:

Bringing back an eco-principled beauty post this Throwback Thursday!!