Naturally Curly Haircare: Scalp Treatments

March 24, 2008 at 8:27 pm 9 comments

Tracy M just started her second week using the Curly Girl Method.  Take a moment to watch her progress; she just received some new hair products from Jessicurl, and her hair is really making waves!   The first commandment was to stop using a hairbrush on your curly hairThis post is addressing another important hair topic:

Commandment No. 2:  Thou shalt treat your scalp and hair separately.

Recognizing this concept is essential for taking care of naturally curly hair.  Your scalp and your hair have different care requirements.

If you use a special scalp treatment (like one with salicylic acid), or medicine for your scalp, you can continue to use it.  First apply conditioner to the ends of your hair to protect it from the harshness of your shampoo or scalp treatment.   My favorite product to use on my scalp is DevaCare’s No Poo, which gives my scalp just the right amount of tingly cleaning while still being gentle on my hair.  I also love using Jessicurl’s Gentle Cleansing Cream, which cleans and leaves my hair feeling soft and conditioned, not stripped.  Oh and that Island Fantasy scent is yummy!

1. After rinsing your hair, apply your favorite conditioner onto the ends of your hair.
  2. Apply a small amount of shampoo or scalp treatment to your scalp area only.
  3. Massage shampoo into your scalp gently using the pads of your fingertips.
  4. Rinse out thoroughly with warm water.
  5. Either re-apply more conditioner to your entire head, comb through and let sit for 3+ minutes, or for finer-haired curlies skip to step #7.
  6. Rinse hair with warm water.
  7. Finish with a cold as you can stand rinse to seal the hair shaft.

After your cold water rinse, do not aggressively squeeze or dry rub your hair with a terry cloth towel.  Gently blot hair wet hair with a microfiber towel, and Jess would recommend leaving your hair dripping wet until you have applied all of your styling products.  By keeping your hair dripping wet, your styling products will distribute themselves better and help seal in more moisture.

jessicurl.gif

Jessicurl has also created a Stimulating Scalp Massage Oil, which is to be used on the scalp to soothe and stimulate hair growth.  Jess reports it gives “quite a tingle” and can be used either on dry or wet hair.

This stuff is seriously potent! A scalp massage with this will leave your scalp tingly all over, and your hair much softer. It’s even better when someone else does the massage for you! Spray it directly onto your scalp and massage it in. After a few minutes you’ll start to feel the tingle. You can leave it in for an hour and then wash it out, or wait until the next morning to wash it out. A warning to those leaving it in overnight, I’ve found that if I use it too close to bedtime, the peppermint smell keeps me awake at night. For this reason, it’s better to use it far in advance of bedtime if you’re going to leave it in overnight. It can be used on either wet or dry hair, but I find that using it on wet hair allows for better absorption into my hair.”

There is nothing I enjoy more than a good scalp massage.  This scalp treatment sounds like a great way to soothe your nerves as well as stimulate your scalp.

Here’s to another week Tracy!

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

3 Reasons to Love Lola Cosmetics Mo’s Day Off: Lisa Needs a New Concealer

• 1. tracy m  |  March 24, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Jen, you are just too cool! Thanks for all the props and encouragement. I was wondering about scalp care, and here you are to answer before I even ask!

That scalp spray from Jess sounds divine. I heart Jessicurl…

• 2. hottiehair  |  March 24, 2008 at 11:41 pm

Hi Jen, Love your article and I could go for a scalp massage right about now 😉

• 3. sabino  |  March 25, 2008 at 8:45 pm

These products will not hold up to climate changes. They are water soluble and frizz will eventually come back in high humidity, rain, dry heat, wind and cold weather. It’s great to apply these products but you have to lock them in and the only product that will do that is Moisture Block http://www.sabinohair.com.

Check out this video as proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3iptUnSLWI

Also, about brushing curly hair? When hair is wet, regardless of texture, hair is 300% stronger. In fact, water is the best moisturizer you can put in your hair.

• 4. shelley  |  March 27, 2008 at 10:32 am

Great info, thanks!

• 5. jen38  |  March 27, 2008 at 11:09 am

I wanted to ask Sabino if they would mind sending us some of their haircare line so we can put it to the test.

What do you say Sabino!?

Also, combing or possibly brushing your hair while wet would be fine; just don’t brush your dry hair. Thanks for your comments.

• […] hair’s response is nothing short of amazing.  It is absolutely beautiful.   In addition to avoiding shampoo and brushes, I asked Tracy to stop using a hair dryer and any other damaging heat […]

• 7. Julie  |  July 15, 2008 at 12:51 pm

But wouldnt brushing hair while wet result in breaking. This is what i have experienced, when ever I try to run my brush or even my fingers through my wet hair I end up breaking a lot of hair.

• 8. jen38  |  July 15, 2008 at 6:10 pm

I would only recommend using a wide-toothed comb to your wet hair with conditioner in it. Apparently, wet hair is much stronger and resistant to breakage than dry hair.

Nice to hear from you Julie!

• […] allowed. Hair Challenge: End of Week 1: Significant progress and some curl improvements made. Naturally Curly Haircare: Scalp Treatments: Co-pooing and rules for taking care of your hair and scalp. Hair Challenge, Week 2: More […]