Welcome to the Dark Side: Enlarged Pores

March 2, 2008 at 7:44 pm 7 comments

merryweather.jpg

Here is a wonderful skincare question from my blogging friend Tracy or “Dandelion Mama.”  She is experiencing some fun changes that many of us encounter after the magical age of 35, aka “the dark side of 30.”  I have some suggestions, but would appreciate any other advice from the Council of Jedi-Master skincare experts out there.

“Ok, I have a question. I’m heading towards the dark side of my thirties, and I’m noticing my pores on my cheeks and nose much more than I used to… help. Is the sugar rub above a good solution? Is there anything I can do about it getting worse?”

First and foremost, I am right there with you.  Those 30’s ticked by WAY too quickly.  From what I have read, there is no known way to shrink your pore size.  In writing this, I am reminded of  the wish cast by the good Fairy Merryweather from Sleeping Beauty, “I cannot take back that wicked spell, but perhaps I can soften it.”

By keeping your pores clean, by either a scrub, exfoliation, or a deep professional cleaning, you can make your pores appear smaller.   Once a week try a homemade facial using yogurt, ground almonds or flaxseed, or using the fruit enzymes found in papaya, lemons, or pineapple.  Not only are these products organic and affordable, I think we just created a recipe for a wonderful fruit salad!

I recently tried Renee Rouleau’s MINT BUFFING BEADS.  I absolutely love this mildly-tingly, exfoliating facial scrub.  The tiny “micro-beadlets” remove dead skin gently.  After using this, my skin felt soft, polished, and deep down clean.  hot-pink-heart.jpg

I have been testing another very nice product from Renee Rouleau called, Matte Moisturehot-pink-heart.jpg which is good for the appearance of pores and provides an oil-free moisture that combats shine.  This product uses Sodium Hyaluronate which is known for its ability to retain moisture.  This lotion is very soothing and contains cucumber and mallow extract.  They add dimethicone to smooth the skin’s appearance and make your skin feel soooo lovely.  It retails for $33.50 for 2 ounces.

The treatment product that I swear by is Perricone’s Ceramic Skin Smoother.  After using this, I noticed that the large pores on my nose appeared significantly smaller.   I am searching for its equivalent because this product costs a small fortune ($75).  Mo’s review of Dr. Brandt’s “Pores No More”  ($45) was good for her pores and made her skin feel like velvet, but she had some reservations on its color.   Two Drug Store brands I would recommend are Olay’s Regenerist Daily Regenerating Serum ($20 for 1.7 ounce), and Boots No7 Restore & Renew Beauty Serum (1 ounce for $21.99 at Target).

Tomorrow, I will revisit the Dark Side and discuss another of  Tracy’s skincare dilemnas, the cursed beauty mark!

BTW:  Check out Dandelion Mama’s brilliant, original artwork at her ETSY boutique shop!   Tracy, you rock!

Entry filed under: Skincare, Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

And the Benefit Giveaway Winner is… Four Decades of Beautiful Skin: Great Tips at Any Age

• 1. sweetnt  |  March 3, 2008 at 7:16 am

Thanks for the tips. I too am entering the dark side of my 30’s and have been noticing the same thing.

• 2. jen38  |  March 3, 2008 at 8:37 am

So great to hear from you Sweent! So many fun things to look forward to… 😉

• 3. bionicbeauty  |  March 4, 2008 at 8:12 am

Count me as a fan of the Boots Restore and Renew. I love that product. It’s so gentle, glides on and seems to help balance my dry, sometimes oily, sometimes broken out skin. And a tube lasts me forever!

I haven’t tried the Perricone though, since my hubby had a fit just with the cost of the Boots serum. LOL!

• 4. jen38  |  March 4, 2008 at 8:43 am

I have had really good success with the Boot’s Serum as well. Perricone’s is a very similar product.

Next time you go to Nordstrom’s beg for a sample of Perricone’s Ceramic Skin. It is an outrageously expensive product. I purchased it last summer while facing my 20th HS reunion and I must have been delusional!

Big HUGS! Jen

• 5. tracy m  |  March 6, 2008 at 12:33 am

Oh Jen, thank you so much for this- the info, and the kind props for me. Thank you.

• 6. jen38  |  March 6, 2008 at 9:51 am

You deserve it Tracy! Glad to spread the word. 🙂

• 7. Grayburn  |  March 19, 2008 at 3:41 am

Hi, really glad I came across your blog. I’m tagging you! Feel free to play along (see my post today for details)!

Grayburn