Battle of the Breakouts: Spot Treatments

February 27, 2008 at 8:50 am 14 comments

regret-small-web-view.jpg

I am so despondent today.

This weekend, after several weeks of nearly flawless skin, my face decided to humble me.

Yes, the mother of all zits reared its ugly head, right on the apple of my left cheek.

Could I just leave it alone?  With all my skin sense, could I refrain from messing with it?  No.  And it became worse, more inflamed, and so red.   I have been using everything on it:  tea tree oil, salicylic acid, Bye-Bye blemish, Neosporin, drinking lots of water, but the damage was done.   If only I would have kept my “picking fingers” away, I am sure I would have avoided this disaster!

I am waxing poetic here, so bare with me:

“If you pick; your zit will stick.”

And yes, today my MIL has a big public event and I will face others without hiding my face behind my hair or a veil,

but I wish I could!

What do you do when the inevitable blemish comes to visit?  What has worked and what doesn’t?  Maybe an even better question would be, what do you use to conceal the thing?

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Laura Mercier Mineral Makeup FGW’s Brand Vs Bargain: Tinted Moisturizers

• 1. sweetnt  |  February 27, 2008 at 11:03 am

I can never leave my zits alone. You can play dot to dot on my face from the damage I’ve done. I used Bare Essentuals and use the small brush to conceal my spots when needed.

• 2. skinguy  |  February 27, 2008 at 2:51 pm

It is hard for me to understand why people self mutilate their faces. If you take care of yourself and your skin you shouldn’t have to worry about getting zits in the first place.

• 3. jen38  |  February 27, 2008 at 5:45 pm

I feel for you Sweetnt! Thanks for your suggestion with the BE.

I have written about my struggles with this same issue on another post as well: Pick, Pop, and Squeeze: My Dirty Little Secret.

• 4. grammhansen  |  February 27, 2008 at 9:31 pm

I have always had a hard time keeping my hands away from my face when a new volcano appears. Luckily, as I have aged (ugh) the krakatoa’s of my face have gone dormant but every once in awhile, I get a doozy. I have to pick it – I just HAVE to – it’s like having a really annoying itch and just ignoring it. NO WAY! After the damage has been done, I thoroughly clean the area, apply neosporin, and use those little round bandaids at night and any time I’m at home and don’t care what I look like – which, so happens, is most of the time. Pathetic.

My daughter, Heidi (who has gorgeous skin – we all hate her), swears by Proactiv and Mary Kay concealer (she’s had the same tube for 8 years). She says the concealer blends in really well. She literally puts on just a dot and it covers extremely well.

• 5. carinutah  |  February 27, 2008 at 11:06 pm

I’m new to your blog–found you thru Tracy M’s blog– I have a great solution to your zit problem. Put a dot of clay mask on the lovely zit before you go to bed (a thick dot right on the zit and not the surrounding skin) and when you wake up in the morning it will have gone down quite a bit. It may even disappear altogether. Any old clay mask will do, no particular brand. It will not dry out your face like all the teenage medicines will, I promise!

I’ve been reading your archives and I see you like Laura Mercier. Is there any place in SLC where it is sold? I’m right in your neck of the woods (bluffdale)…

• 6. jen38  |  February 28, 2008 at 8:07 am

So great to hear from you Carin! I will definitely try your suggestion. I have been trying to avoid the traditional BP topicals for the very reasons you mentioned.

We are practically neighbors! If you are looking for Laura Mercier in Utah, Nordstrom’s is the only place I know that carries her line.

Have a great day! 🙂 Jen

• 7. kate2004rock  |  February 28, 2008 at 11:10 am

When I can manage to leave them alone…which isn’t often…if you attack it hourly with Benefit BooBoo Zap it ususally does the trick!

• 8. jen38  |  February 28, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Benefit BooBoo Zap! I will make a note of it. Kate what on Earth would I do without you?

And many thanks Marilyn, dormant Krakatoas on your face! I completely fell off my chair when I read that. Tell Heidi I am soooo jealous of her great skin!

A few years ago, I tried Proactiv and had great success, but it stopped being as effective after a year or so of continual use. I also found it very drying on my skin. I would recommend Proactiv to teens and women under 35, although I am trying to avoid Benzoyl Peroxide topicals because of the drying issues.

• 9. realworldmartha  |  February 29, 2008 at 2:13 pm

I have to admit that I am not prone to breaking out but if I do feel and see something coming out that I don’t want I take white toothpaste and apply before bed. It works for me!

P.S. – I am not sure what weekend you will be in town but my little one’s b day party is on the 8th. Let me know if you will be around and I can give you a # so we could all meet someplace for dinner or something.

Debbie 🙂

• 10. jen38  |  February 29, 2008 at 3:21 pm

Thanks Debbie! I am leaving on the 6th and please email me your contact information. Becca’s birthday is on the 8th as well!

It will be so fun to meet you!

• 11. mo mommy  |  March 1, 2008 at 11:10 am

Even well cared for skin breaks out. Skin is affected by things like stress, ageing, and hormones, particularily women’s skin. Any woman who has been using the same highly effective regimen for a long time and suddenly has a skin crisis would say the same.
    Those who suffer from severe acne would also agree. I doubt they aren’t caring for their skin in the best possible way, usually with the help of a professional. “Take care of your skin and it will always look good” sounds great in theory, but it’s not always so easy in practice.

• 12. jen38  |  March 1, 2008 at 1:27 pm

So well said Mo!

Acne is a very misunderstood issue, much like depression. If you don’t have those issues; you might not be able to grasp the frustrations or issues dealing with it.

SkinGuy turns out to be selling a skincare line, how ironic. You would think that people in the field would have more compassion.

• 13. Sharon de Halas  |  March 16, 2008 at 9:20 pm

I bought this “zit popper” years ago from Avon. When one gets going, I sterilize that with alcohol and pop. Then I use a clay mask as stated above. I have heard that tarter control toothpaste works too as some one said.

• […] Zits  (Spot Treatments): “Pimples may disappear like magic if, before retiring, you treat them with a product […]