Let’s Talk about it: Acne and Battle Scars!

February 15, 2008 at 10:12 pm 7 comments

Neolithic Woman Recently, I came across an informative post from the Tempalia beauty blog site on treating facial acne, scarring, and pigmentation issues called:  “Step Into My Shoes – Acne and Battle Scars!”

My question to you is, what is an effective, safe, and economical way to fade facial pigmentation and acne scars?

Here was my comment:

“What a great post to address a very common problem.  I too suffer from some mild acne scarring and hyper-pigmentation due to sun damage, hormones, and life!

I strongly recommend treatments with Vitamin C for clarity and healing your damaged skin. My experience with PCA’s A&C Serum is incredible, and now that I am reading your comments, I might be checking out Prescriptives Vibrant C.

I also have heard so many good things about fading treatments and creams with hydroquinone, however, I have also heard so many horrible things about its side effects.  Namely, it can cause more damage and hyperpigmentation of your skin.  AHA’s you should look for in a fading cream or serum should be: combination of both kojic and azelaic acids, in addition to lactic and citric acids.  All gentler and more effective AHA’s for your skin.  I have also heard good things about MaMa Lotion which combines Malic and Mandelic Acids.”

Suggestions that came up in this discussion:

• Using skin care treatments that are high in antioxidants such as A ,C, and E
  • Tea Tree Oil, Jojoba Oil, and Vitamin E Oil use can reduce scarring/heal acne
  • take a gentler approach, avoid harsh oil-stripping cleansers/alcohol-based toners, and try not to pick at your skin!
  • AHA’s can be effective in improving your skin’s clarity and texture, BHA’s or Salicylic Acid are best to use on acne prone skin
  • If you have severe/moderate cystic acne, a trip to the Dermatologist is a top priority
  • Accutane works to clear cystic acne, but can only to be used with Doctor supervision and while using birth control/ and not pregnant
  • Lasers and photofacials can be used to treat acne and address scarring, but are expensive

If you are like me and face the issues of adult acne and pigmentation issues, I strongly suggest reading through these comments and add some of your own suggestions.  We all face different challenges when it comes to skin care.  Many of us have sensitive skin issues what can help one person, may not help another.   Hopefully you take away some information that can help you.

Here’s to healthy skin!

Technorati Tags: ,,,,

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Mythbuster Beauty – | Devachan Salon & Departure Lounge An incredible, darling review on Sukicolor’s Tinted Active Moisturizer

• 1. bionicbeauty  |  February 16, 2008 at 12:57 pm

ooh, thanks Jen. I’m off to read the post. I tried some of the fading creams and got no results for my melasma. Grrr. I guess I’m still looking for that “miracle” cure.

Are there any vitamin C “drugstore” brands you’d recommend for pigmentation issues?

• 2. jen38  |  February 16, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Just because Vitamin C is on a product’s ingredient list doesn’t mean it is effective. Make sure that the Vitamin C product is from a trustworthy brand and check the expiration date and packaging because of oxidation issues.

This is going to sound so granola of me, but I am also curious if it is possible to create an affordable and effective vitamin c skin treatment at home? Most drug store skincare lines are fiiled with fillers and fragrances that we really don’t need on our skin.

• 3. mejojac  |  February 16, 2008 at 5:06 pm

I’ll have to check some of this out… I’ve got a little bit of scarring on my chin, but my hubby has some on his neck… thanks for the info!

• 4. jen38  |  February 16, 2008 at 5:19 pm

Just back from Valdemart, and I noticed two drug store brand skincare treatments that use vitamin C and look promising.

Neutrogena’s Visibly Even Healthy Skin Night Concentrate (with vitamin C, soy and salicylic acid, retails for about $13), and Garnier Nutritioniste Skin Renew Serum for $12 which combines vitamin C, magnesium and lycopene. I purchased the Garnier product and will let you know what I think about it.

I also just discovered website talking about how to make your own Vitamin C serum: http://www.natural-skin-care-info.com/vitamin-c-serum.html

• […] 6, 2008 In the post, “Let’s Talk about it: Acne and Battle Scars,” I mentioned the benefits of a high potency vitamin c skin serum to help lighten and calm our skin.  […]

• […] these marks are more like “age spots,” I can send you back to the post about using different topical treatments containing AHA’s, Vitamin C and retinoids (without hydroquinone) and laser […]

• 7. Julie  |  July 2, 2008 at 4:17 am

I have struggled with severe melasma for about 15 years, and I just discovered a combination which has reduced the severity of my melasma by around 50% in just two weeks! I’m washing my face daily with Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser daily, and using it as a mask weekly. I use Garnier Nutritioniste sun damage repair lotion morning and night. I don’t know which of them is making the changes, but I’m scared to tamper with it! I’m seeing daily improvements and don’t feel like a monster anymore. I hope this can help someone else.