Spring’s Chicest Lipstick? Lancôme’s Pixel Pink, can it live up to its claim?

February 8, 2008 at 8:32 pm 16 comments

thakoon.jpgPress Release:  SPRING’S CHICEST LIPSTICK: pixel pink by thakoon

The fourth and final lipstick in the Pout-à-Porter designer lipstick series makes its hotly anticipated debut TODAY on lancome-usa.com. Lancôme Color Fever Shine Lipstick in Pixel Pink is a beautiful sheer raspberry shade created by celebrated emerging designThakoonLRimage[1]er Thakoon and celebrity makeup artist Gucci Westman for Thakoon’s Spring 2008 show. All the models – Catherine, Hye, Jessica, Coco, Irina and the others – wore Pixel Pink as they walked down the runway. On Monday at Thakoon’s Fall 2008 show, sponsored by Lancôme, the models were the first VIPs to receive the lipstick.

Thakoon and Gucci have worked together for several seasons so this collaboration process was an easy one. “Gucci almost can read my mind when it comes to makeup,” says Thakoon, who began his design career in 2004. The color came together at the hair and makeup test only days before the Spring show. Thakoon wanted something simple yet pretty that would complement the lush greens, pinks and blues in his collection, as well as the unique prints. One particular print, a pixilated floral that almost appears to have been faxed through a machine, was a key influence on the lipstick.

Thakoon had a very specific muse in mind for this collection. He envisioned a young, modern Japanese woman who leaves her life behind and escapes to Hawaii. Once there, she loses herself in the surf and sun. “Her makeup is very minimalist,” says Gucci. “I could see her dabbing this color on her lips to go with the tan and flushed cheeks she has from surfing all day.”

Beginning today, February 8, 2008, Pixel Pink will be available in limited quantities on lancome-usa.com and on March 1st it will debut exclusively at Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman and Lancôme’s five U.S. boutiques with a suggested retail price of $25.

Pout-à-Porter is a celebration of Lancôme’s support of emerging designers. The previous three lipsticks were created for Behnaz Sarafpour (Fall 2006), Proenza Schouler (Spring 2007) and Peter Som (Fall 2007).

My feelings about it:

I have yet to put my lips on Pixel Pink, but a sheer raspberry shade lipstick cannot be ignored.  One of my favorite new lipsticks has been Lancôme’s Color Fever Shine Lipstick in Provocative.  I love its feel, a sheer rich plum with bits of pearly sparkle to give it dimension.  If you are a fan of Clinique’s Almost Lipstick; you will love Lancôme’s Fever Shine Lipstick.

Honestly, I will not sleep well until I get my hands on some Pixel Pink.

If you purchase Pixel Pink, please let us know about your experience and if it really deserves the title, “Spring’s Chicest Lipstick.”

mythbuster-pictures-010-small-web-view.jpgA picture of moi, wet hair and all, wearing Lancôme’s Color Fever Shine Lipstick “Provocative.”  I am also wearing Laura Mercier’s Black Plum eye shadow (which you cannot tell because my lids are too deep set), Lancôme’s Définicils High Definition Mascara, and Lancôme’s Color Design Cream Blush in Petticoat Pink.

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Results: Color Intervention 101 What does your "Makeup Lingerie" consist of?

• 1. tracy m  |  February 9, 2008 at 11:08 am

It looks astoundingly similar to Raspberry Glace sheer lipstick by Clinique- which happens to be one of my very favorites…

• 2. mo mommy  |  February 9, 2008 at 12:08 pm

Lancome has always done sheer very well. But the price makes Clinique’s ‘Almost’ lip colors much more attractive!
    I’m really happy to see designers moving into the cosmetics world as guests. It adds a fun selection without changing everything. And Lancome really nabbed some of the best young designers/design teams. Too bad we don’t get these special colors at the PX, where they’re cheaper!

• 3. mo mommy  |  February 9, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Whoops, messed up my italics.

• 4. jen38  |  February 9, 2008 at 12:13 pm

I know what you mean. Last time I checked Clinique’s lipsticks were about $14 or so? That’s a significant difference.

I still really want to try Pixel Pink though. On the website the color appears much lighter than the press release photo. What do you think, is it worth the $25?

• 5. mo mommy  |  February 9, 2008 at 2:51 pm

Based on the ones I’ve bought recently..YES!

• 6. tracy m  |  February 9, 2008 at 3:24 pm

Right now? Nope! $25 bucks buys a lot a Top Ramen! AH, college days revisited…

• 7. cecilyr  |  February 9, 2008 at 6:53 pm

Look at you all pretty and scrubbed! You’re beautiful!

• 8. jen38  |  February 9, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Ah shucks, thanks Cecily, I am blushing.

• 9. kate2004rock  |  February 10, 2008 at 4:54 pm

I need that lipstick. I need it in a bad way. That bronzed skin, creamy pink lips is just so chic and breezy!

• 10. jen38  |  February 12, 2008 at 11:32 pm

Absolutely Kate and please tell me if you get it!

• 11. looselipsny  |  February 15, 2008 at 5:23 pm

I am loving green right now- my favorite is Ivy league gel liner with lots of mascara-
    Keep up the good work!

• 12. jen38  |  February 18, 2008 at 9:41 am

That sounds gorgeous Sherry. Did you get a chance to look at Bionic Beauty’s green eye look? WIth her dark eyes, it is absolutely stunning. Email me a picture of your look!

Great to hear from you and hope all is well at LooseLipsNY!

Best,
    Jen

• […] I love this fresh and fun interview with Thakoon and his narrative behind the Lancôme Thakoon Lipstick in Pixel Pink. […]

• 14. Jean  |  March 20, 2008 at 8:36 am

I have always been afraid of pinks and you are just rocking them!!! Our coloring is similar, so I may just have to go out and try some.

• 15. jen38  |  March 20, 2008 at 6:47 pm

This pink has a lot of dimension, with little flecks of color, it is really cool. I am still waiting to try Pixel Pink!

• 16. Review of Lancôme’s Pixel Pink « Mythbuster Beauty  |  April 2, 2008 at 8:49 pm

[…] here is a picture of me wearing Lancôme’s newest shade launched for this spring, “Pixel Pink.”  My feelings?  This shade would look spectacular on someone with a tan […]