A visit to Laura Mercier

February 5, 2008 at 5:59 pm 9 comments

The gift Evan gave to me for my birthday was an afternoon without the kids.  The first thing I did was drive up past the canyons to enjoy the clear view of the mountains and the Salt Lake Valley while listening to the radio program of my choice:  NPR.

Next, I stopped by my local Nordstroms, strolled by MAC and landed at the Laura Mercier counter.  I have been a fan of Laura Mercier for a few years now.  Everything she offers is simply classic and beautiful.  The first Laura Mercier product that drew me in was her Foundation Primer.   Here are some little known facts about her primers:

• Just as a painter “primes” a canvas, Foundation Primer – the original – was created by Laura Mercier in 1995 to “prime” the skin
  • Colorless gel leaves makeup looking fresh & colour-true the entire day
  • Ideal for normal & combination skin
  • Vitamins A, C, & E act as antioxidants & protect the skin from harmful, aging effects of the environment
  • Cooling Foundation Primer in the refrigerator is refreshing for the skin & reduces puffiness

My first question to Heidi, the Laura Mercier Makeup Artist/Skincare Specialist was what was new at  Laura Mericer.  She directed me to the Eye Liner, not a gel, but a formula that if combined with water makes the most amazing liner.  I placed some on my hand and it would not rub off!

Using Laura Mercier’s Flat Eye Liner Brush she showed me Laura Mercier’s signaturLaura Merciere eye liner technique.

First, to create a fuller lash line, Heidi applied the liner to the roots of my lashes and instructed me to keep my eyes open and look down.  The brush was held upright, like a popsicle stick, and she dotted the liner into my upper lash line.  This technique is not complicated, but it is difficult for me to describe.  I am laughing myself silly trying to explain this!

Then, she used the flat brush to line my lashes above. *and this time, with my eyes shut!

• Used wet – a velvet matte finish & the buildable pigment allows you to create infinite looks
  • Apply as a natural, thin line to a thicker, more dramatic look

Light-reflective pigments add brightness & life to the eye

Long-wearing, smudge resistent and colour-true

The result?  A beautiful sophisticated liner that gave my eyes some much needed Oomph!

I bought myself Laura Mercier’s Eye Liner in Bleu Marine and the Flat Eye Liner Brush.

I was also so tempted to purchase her Limited Edition fragrance Violette.”  A soft violet scent with a bit of peony, but not too floral-y, just enough musk to give it depth.  Absolutely heavenly!

Entry filed under: Cosmetics, Primers. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Beauty bloggers respond to the NYTimes. The Beauty Blog Network "pink to please a woman… gold to get the guy!": Benefit Cosmetics Giveaway

• 1. ragingrouge  |  February 5, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Happy Birthday!

• 2. mejojac  |  February 6, 2008 at 9:51 am

Sounds like a pretty great birthday gift to me!! 😀 Who doesn’t like an afternoon off?

• 3. kate2004rock  |  February 6, 2008 at 11:43 am

I can’t figure out that Eyeliner technique to save my life. Any tips?

Katie

• 4. jen38  |  February 6, 2008 at 2:43 pm

I bet that popsicle stick comment threw you off Kate. Let’s try this again.

On Laura Mercier’s website, they describe the eye lining technique much better than I ever could.

1. Use the point of the flat brush to dot between individual lashes.
      2. For added definition, use the flat brush to apply another line of color right above the roots of the upper lashes.

You can also apply the liner below the roots of the upper lashes. Apply with your eye open, and your brush angled upwards, like holding a popsicle stick. You are lining from underneath to create a fuller lash line. Pressing the brush up into the lashes. Does this make sense?

I am trying Kate, maybe I need to draw a picture and post it. Help me, anyone?

• 5. tracy m  |  February 6, 2008 at 7:22 pm

That makes me want to go put on more eyeliner- at 6 in the evening!! Cool beans.

• 6. jen38  |  February 6, 2008 at 9:08 pm

Thanks Tracy!

• 7. momommy  |  February 7, 2008 at 2:06 am

After your great description I’m feeling glad we don’t have a Mercier counter here, too much temptation!
      But I am dying to try that technique here at home!

• 8. Results: Color Intervention 101 « Mythbuster Beauty  |  February 7, 2008 at 11:09 pm

[…] Here is my description of this eye-lining technique from Tuesday’s post on “A Visit to Laura Mercier:” […]

• 9. New Mythbuster Symbol Rating System « Mythbuster Beauty  |  February 12, 2008 at 3:22 pm

[…] Laura Mercier’s Eye Liner in Bleu Marine and the Flat Eye Liner Brush […]