Wonderful Facial mask recipes: Kitchen Cupboard Beauty

January 28, 2008 at 11:20 am 13 comments

facialA post called, “Beauty and Personal Grooming: Pore shrinking mask recipes from home” listed several wonderful ideas of great facial masks that can be made from things you might already have in your kitchen cupboard or bathroom cabinet.

• The Blog’s Author, Aparna, suggests trying the following homemade facial mask recipes:
  • Cleanse your face with a mild face wash. Then splash ice cold water over your face or alternatively rub an ice cube wrapped in a towel over your face. Cold ice constricts the facial muscles for a while and this action can shrink the pores temporarily. Then pat dry. You can then apply fresh lemon juice over your face, that is, if you do not have an extremely sensitive skin which is allergic to lemons. Lemon juice acts as an astringent which helps to close the pores.

Lemons contain natural AHA’s (Citric Acid) and is known to promote clarity by gently exfoliating the skins surface.

• After cleansing your face you can apply a spoonful of milk of magnesia. Keep it on for 15-20 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water and finish it off with a splash of cold water. This pack also helps with acne.

I have heard about using Milk of Magnesia as a facial mask.  Milk of Magnesia if slightly diluted, can also be used as a eye or face primer for oily skin.

• Egg whites are not just skin-tighteners but also excellent pore-shrinkers. Beat an egg white. Add a tsp of lemon juice to it. Then apply it evenly over your face until it dries and tightens around the skin. You may skip using lemon juice if you wish and use only a well-beaten egg white on your face. Wash it off with tepid water and a splash of cold water.

Using slightly beaten egg whites is a tried and true facial mask that my mother and my grandmother used and passed on to me.

• Soak a few almonds in water. Grind it to a paste with water. Add 2 tsp of lemon juice and apply it to your face. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes, then wash it off as usual. This also lightens your complexion.

I have never tried this, but use a honey/almond mask regularly and love it.

• A sugar scrub might also help with open pores. Combine a tsp each of olive oil, honey, lemon juice to a few sugar crystals and gently rub over your face. Immediately follow it up with any of the above packs and/or a splash of ice cold water.

Sugar is an amazing exfoliant, sugar is one of the main ingredients used in my very favorite Suki’s Lemongrass Cleanser.  Her cleanser combines organic rice flour, organic sugar, pure handmade organic saponified olive oil, powdered organic chamomile, lavender, calendula, rose hips, lemongrass & orange, pure vegetable glycerin, sea extracts & pure, premium, steam distilled essential oils.

For more homemade facial mask ideas, you can visit Aparna’s blog:  Beauty and Personal Grooming.  Many thanks for the great ideas Aparna!

Entry filed under: Skincare. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Kate’s Confession on Megsmakeup.com: LINGERIE! GROUP THERAPY! N.V. Perricone M.D.’s Vitamin C Ester Concentrated Restorative Cream

• 1. realworldmartha  |  January 29, 2008 at 9:35 am

Have you ever read the book “Natural Beauty” from Laura DuPriest? It has lots of good recipes on making your own beauty products.

• 2. jen38  |  January 29, 2008 at 10:21 am

No I haven’t, thank you so much for the suggestion. I will check out the library asap!

I am really convinced that some of the best things are very basic, and good skincare does not have to cost a fortune to be effective.

Take care Debbie! Big hug, Jen

• 3. mo mommy  |  January 29, 2008 at 6:12 pm

Rubbing pineapple or papaya on your skin also works great in place of a toner. Great natural astringent and passive exfoliator. Rub it on, let it sit for a few, and rinse lightly with water.
            Fresh is best, but you can use canned if you rinse the syrup off very, very thoroughly.

• 4. tracy m  |  January 29, 2008 at 10:36 pm

Ok, I have a question. I’m heading towards the dark side of my thirties, and I’m noticing my pores on my cheeks and nose much more than I used to… help. Is the sugar rub above a good solution? Is there anything I can do about it getting worse?

Also, I have two, um, beauty marks ( I use the term with trepidation, as they are ugly as sin to me) on my right cheek, one near my jaw and one near my hairline- they weren’t always there, but now they are and I HATE them. The stick out like little pencil erasers, and are just skin colored. They make me feel like a wicked, ugly old lady. Or like Lemmy Killlmeister. Is there anything I can do about them? Can they be removed? Are they hereditary? My mom has one on her chin, but it’s dark brown… oh good greif- shoot me now.
            \…help.

• 5. Aparna  |  January 30, 2008 at 6:24 am

Glad to know that you liked my post and thanks for mentioning it here. You have got a nice, informative blog over here. 🙂

• 6. jen38  |  January 30, 2008 at 10:00 am

Tracy m, great questions. “The dark side of my thirties,” I love it. Your questions deserve a post. Give me a few days and I’ll be all over it.

Thank you Aparna! You were the source for my information and hoped you would visit. Is there a place to comment on your blogsite? Your site is wonderful and I subscribed to it.

Best,
            Jen

• 7. Troy  |  March 28, 2008 at 4:54 am

Hello, great to find you…well i work nightshift and i am late 30s i’ve noticed bags and dark circles under my eyes, please tell me there is something out there i can use to reverse whats happening…the egg whites skin tightener i am all over it Thank you and thank you in advance

• 8. jen38  |  March 28, 2008 at 9:05 am

Great to hear from you Troy. I am going to post some possible solutions for you soon. Keep in touch!

Jen

• 9. CheetaPrint  |  May 31, 2008 at 8:49 am

My mom said that you’re not supposed to put sugar on your face and that it has no nutritional value for your skin and it will make you break out. Is all of this true?

• 10. jen38  |  May 31, 2008 at 1:18 pm

I believe that sugar is used as an exfoliant in skincare products, and it isn’t meant to nourish the skin.

I was told to avoid using scrubs on active breakouts because it could aggrevate your skin. I would only use a facial scrub on skin that is clear, and would recommend being very gentle while using exfoliants of any kind.

According to the sukipure.com website, “organic sugar, [is] a smooth, soft, meltable substance [that] works to slough dead skin with it’s granulation and gentle, mild sugars help rid the pores of dirt and toxins without stripping the skin like harsher glycolic and milk acids and sugars.”

Hope this information helps and great to hear from you CheetaPrint!

• 11. CheetaPrint  |  June 2, 2008 at 9:04 am

Cool! Thank you! That answers my q’s about a lot of stuff.

• 12. CafeAuLait  |  October 3, 2008 at 1:32 pm

I am with Tony. I now have puffiness under my eyes and it never seems to go away. PLEEEEEEEEASE tell me what I can use. Oh, I am allergic to ALL nuts and seafood so I can’t do anything that uses those ingredients. AND I have oily skin.

• 13. Jen Hill  |  October 3, 2008 at 3:18 pm

So good to hear from you CafeAuLait. I recently had a friend ask me about eye puffiness. I have a few home remedies to suggest as well as some favorite eye products to recommend.

I will publish a post about this topic asap.