Kate’s Confession on Megsmakeup.com: LINGERIE! GROUP THERAPY!

January 27, 2008 at 9:30 am 7 comments

I could not help but relate when I read this post from my dear friend Kate at Megsmakeup.com

Meg’s Make-up Reviews » COSMETIC LINGERIE! GROUP THERAPY-I NEED SOME ANSWERS!

waterfall

“After complaining last week about my “Water Water Everywhere” existential crisis (Note: I have amassed these hundreds of products and have nowhere to store them and can’t seem to use any up), I decided to do a little experiment this week. I wanted to know which products I really couldn’t live without. So I didn’t change a thing. I used whatever products I “felt like” that day hopping from brand to brand, formula to formula, color to color. All week. Right now you’re thinking, Katie: that’s completely pointless. The first step is admitting you have a problem. You’ve done that. Step two: Alter the behavior. HELLO! Ok, well I wrote down exactly which products I used every day, a product diary, if you will. I started with morning cleanser to final eye cream and lip balm at night. Here’s the results…”

You will have to go to Megsmakeup.com to read her in-depth analysis and cosmetic journal for the week.  Fascinating reading, simply fascinating.

My response to Kate’s problem?

“I feel your pain Kate, I really do. This year I have accumulated more makeup than I have had in my entire lifetime. At least you are attempting to analyze your problem. Now you need to act! Don’t make me call TLC’s “Clean Sweep” team and send them out to Ol’ Miss. I love your makeup lingerie analogy. Now that you know what you use and don’t use; toss out the cosmetics that you haven’t used in the past month. I know that these items are dear to your heart, you have history/memories together, and you probably spent your entire Sephora paycheck on them. I recently went through my entire stash, and I still have a TON of makeup, but it is more manageable. And then, you will have room for new finds! Best wishes babe and let me know if you make any progress.”

While driving my 4 year old daughter to preschool, Naomi asked me what was in a large box sitting on the side front seat.  I responded to her that, “Just some makeup that I am going to be mailing to my friend Mo.”  She took in a long dramatic breath and announced, “Makeup, Makeup, Makeup!  You don’t need any more makeup!”

She’s right.  I really don’t.

Please share with us your plight to keep accumulating makeup from overtaking your life.

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

SukiColor: A Favorite, Tinted Active Moisturizer Wonderful Facial mask recipes: Kitchen Cupboard Beauty

• 1. Jen  |  January 27, 2008 at 1:18 pm

You’re too funny! Strange coincidence… I just sent out a huge stash to my Mom and Sister! Purging periodically is so important! Better for someone else to get use out of it, than for it to end up in the trash, right?

• 2. mo mommy  |  January 28, 2008 at 9:35 am

Yeah, because I need more makeup too! Like when I have to take stuff back to the store because I got it home and realized I have the exact same color already!
    It never hurts to have more though, right?….I don’t have a problem, I can stop anytime!!!

• 3. Katie G - kate2004rock  |  January 31, 2008 at 12:25 am

I’m trying Jen, I’m really trying. Its just that its like quicksand…it may be worse than heroin. I’ve just never done heroin, but in comparison to how I imagine it…well, you know.

• 4. jen38  |  January 31, 2008 at 7:51 am

Yeah Kate! So great to have you comment. I would pay money to have a picture of your makeup stash!

I love your makeup lingerie analogy, and who knew that Perricone’s Restorative cream is good for sunburned skin? Not me! You babe, la Expert Cosmétique Extraordinaire!

Merci Kate, you really ROCK!

• 5. kate2004rock  |  February 1, 2008 at 3:40 pm

Getting it all in one place is the biggest obstacle to that photograph!

• 6. jen38  |  February 1, 2008 at 7:11 pm

Yikes, you really do have a problem!

• 7. kate2004rock  |  February 2, 2008 at 9:35 am

I know. I dusgust myself.