Deep Conditioning: How to Feed Your Hair

October 29, 2007 at 1:18 am 9 comments

Shortly after submitting my post on curly hair, a fellow blogger confided to MBB about her hair frustrations:

[Your] post is right on time as my hair is driving me nuts. I used to have straight hair (even though my both parents have curly hair), then a few years ago my genes finally decided that I should have curly hair. And right now.. I have both. The most annoying combination: the layers on the surface are straight, and the hairs underneath are curly!!! So I just straighten it all which is really damaging. I want my curls back!- Cosmetics Aware

I replied to CA’s comment that I also suffer from combination curly hair. For years, I had blown dry and straightened all my hair in response to this disharmony with my locks. The result, blow fried, extremely parched, dry, frizzy hair! I was so upset about it this year, I searched and scoured the library and Internet until I found Massey’s book, Naturally Curly.com, and the rest is history.

My first recommendation for women who are wanting to repair and heal their damaged or dead hair is to deep condition or “feed” your hair. The method is fairly straightforward, there are some small differences depending on who you are talking to, but I will do my best to describe and get you started.

What you will need:

Time — About an hour. I usually deep condition in the late evening when I don’t have to be anywhere anytime soon.

A Deep Conditioner — I really believe that you should invest in a high-quality NaturallyCurly.com recommended deep conditioner. There are several to choose from. I personally love DevaCurl’s One Condition, and have also recently tried a deep conditioner from Mixed Chicks, which I also really loved. Drug Store Brands like Aussies 3 Minute Miracle, Suave’s Humectant Conditioner and Curl Line Conditioners come with good recommendations as well.  Another fabulous deep conditioner is Jessicurl’s Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment.

Plastic Cap — 25 cent cheapo plastic shower cap

Heating Unit — Hot Water Bottle, Heating Pad, Blow Dryer Cap, or a Micro Heat Wrap

How to Deep Condition your hair:

1. If you wish, you can wash your hair first. I simply rinse it out well and gently squeeze out the excess water.

2. Generously apply your deep conditioner to damp hair, and focus on the ends. Work through with your fingers, or use a wide toothed comb to work through your hair. This is the only time I ever use a comb or brush on my wet conditioned hair. Otherwise, only use your fingers.

3. Place the shower cap over hair, and then put the heating device on your head for a full 20 minutes. You need to 20 minutes to allow the hair cuticle to open fully, and let the conditioner completely permeate and feed your hair. After 20+ minutes or longer, (you could leave the conditioner on at this point, even all night after heating), take off your cap and let your hair cool for at least 5 minutes. This allows your hair shaft to close again.

4. Rinse hair with warm water until about 80% of the conditioner is rinsed out.

5. Do a final rinse with the coldest water you can stand. This is important to seal your hair shaft and get all the benefits of your deep conditioning treatment.

6. Apply a leave-on conditioner and allow your hair to air dry.

7. Do not wash your hair the next day. Give your hair a break after a deep conditioning for at least 24 hours.

I suggest deep conditioning weekly. Sunday evenings are a great time for me. By doing this, your hair will will become healthier and shinier. It will regain its softness. Moisture-robbed hair is more subject to breakage and unmanageability.

For other great hair tips and products, check out the Naturally Curly website.

Remember to love and feed your hair!

Entry filed under: Hair. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Fried Green Madness Here is an Eye Opener: Halloween Costumes for Girls

• 1. engelfluglen  |  October 29, 2007 at 6:30 pm

My aunt told me how she and her sisters used to condition their hair before there were deep conditioning products: Mayo. Works as well as any deep conditioner that I’ve tried, and is cheaper 😛

• 2. jen38  |  October 29, 2007 at 6:48 pm

I bet with the combination of protein and vinegar, Mayo would be a great deep condtioner! I wonder if it might affect your hair if it is colored treated though? Looks like a terrific question to ask the gals at naturally curly.com!

*I also really dislike the smell and taste of Mayo. It would drive my crazy to have it in my hair for this, I’d be dry heaving the entire time!

Thanks for your comment! xo Jen

• 3. engelfluglen  |  October 29, 2007 at 6:58 pm

I don’t think heating it up is such a good idea, my aunts just said they left it on for about 20 minutes and then rinsed.

• 4. jen38  |  October 29, 2007 at 7:58 pm

Maybe the vinegar would do the same thing as heating the hair anyway. Good point!

• 5. cosmeticsaware  |  October 29, 2007 at 11:20 pm

Jen, thank you so much for these great tips,I just got home and the first thing I did was to read it.
    You are wonderful!
    X

• […] Posts Deep Conditioning: How to Feed Your HairJessicurl’s Weekly Deep Conditioning TreatmentBare Escentuals VS. Drug Store brand Mineral […]

• 7. How to Deep Condition Hair and its Recipes - IndusLadies  |  August 18, 2008 at 7:15 am

[…] Mix together, and apply to hair.” – Submitted by Paige Homemade Natural Hair Conditioner Deep Conditioning: How to Feed Your Hair Mythbuster Beauty Natural Recipes: Hair Care… make your own natural hair recipes at home! Good luck 😀 […]

• 8. Latha  |  August 21, 2008 at 11:31 pm

A natural home made recipe for hair conditioning.

Soak 1 portion of fenugreek seeds overnight. Take 1 portion of grated coconut. Grind both of them together with very little water to make a thick fine paste. Apply to your hair and leave it for atleast 2 hours and rinse. Preferably do not use shampoo. This works great to make hair shine, makes it soft. Also it is the best for sure cure for dandruff. Works extremely well even to cut down hair loss. Facilitates hair growth. It also has a cooling and destressing effect on the body.

100% natural.

Let me know how well it worked for you!!!!

• 9. BeautyGuru  |  September 26, 2008 at 9:48 am

I agree that Sunday is really good idea to deep condition your hair because Monday to Saturday is a busy schedule. I personally do the techniques you said and i am using mayo as a deep conditioner. It helps to soften and add shine to my hair. Well, i also i agree that we really need to give break to our hair.