Where did I put all those pesky Hair Clips?

October 18, 2007 at 2:24 pm 7 comments

In embracing my natural curl, I have dramatically changed my methods of taking care and styling my hair.

If you are not familiar with the No-Poo, water-soluble silicone, air drying, no brushing, deep conditioning, cool final rinse, finger scrunching, hair plopping, and hair clipping terms associated with the “Curly Girl” Method, I have some good reading for you.

“Curly Girl,” by Lorraine Massey: A great introduction to the entire concept and theory behind the correct way to manage your fabulous curls. Massey is the Queen when it comes to the curly girl method.

“Curl Talk,” by Ouidad: Another marvelous book about curly hair from the famous NY hairstylist Ouidad. Her methods are similar but have some slight variations from Massey’s techniques.

Naturallycurly.com: Articles, Reviews, Shopping, and Forum all on one amazing site. All the women that manage NaturallyCurly are extremely knowledgable and friendly.  You can determine your hair type according to Andre Walker’s hair classification system, and join a forum to address your specific hair type and hair concerns. They discuss everything from your favorite drug store brand conditioners, to ways to select a great hair stylist.

I was recently honored to receive the title of, Curl Ambassador,” from Michelle at NaturallyCurly.com.

Here is my acceptance speech:

People of planet Earth,

• Do you suffer from dry, damaged, frizzy, uncontrollable hair?
  • Do you spend an inordinate amount of time blow drying and styling your hair, only having to do it again day after day?
  • Does the weather tend to dictate your hair style and your mood?
  • Are you just tired of fighting against your hair?

Maybe you have been going about your hair all wrong. Maybe, you have CURLY HAIR!

Read the above mentioned curly hair books, and check out the Naturallycurly.com website. You may not think you have curl, and after using the curly hair methods for 3 weeks, might discover something very different about yourself. Many of us are in denial about our curls.

Embrace them!

Entry filed under: Hair, Self Acceptance. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

MBB: Computer Freeze The Fine Art of Communication

• 1. cosmeticsaware  |  October 18, 2007 at 4:53 pm

🙂 This post is right on time as my hair is driving me nuts. I used to have straight hair (even though my both parents have curly hair), then a few years ago my genes finally decided that I should have curly hair. And right now.. I have both. The most annyoing combination: the layers on the surface are straight, and the hairs underneath are curly!!! So I just strighten it all which is really damaging. I want my curls back!

• 2. jen38  |  October 18, 2007 at 8:18 pm

I have a very similar problem with my hair. With some encouragement, your top hair might have more wave than you think. I used to straighten my hair every day and it was so fried! I was really discouraged about it. “The hair might forget, but the roots remember the wave pattern.”

Have you read the posts on, “When Marshmallow in your hair is a good thing” or “Embrace Yourself?” To start off, I would get a good deep conditioner like DevaCurl’s, or another one I love is from a company called Mixed Chicks. I will write up a post on the how tos for deep conditioning ASAP!

I am excited for you to try some of these curly girl techniques and see what happens. Keep in touch! Jen

• 3. cosmeticsaware  |  October 19, 2007 at 2:28 pm

I am looking forward to reading your post about the deep conditioning. You got me all excited too. 🙂

• 4. jen38  |  October 21, 2007 at 12:48 am

I would highly recommend going onto Jessicurl’s website. She has some really informative demo videos: http://www.jessicurl.com/Demo-Videos-p-6.html.

She also promotes a really wonderful charity called, “Woman Around the World” and offers discounts on her products for people who support it.

I have used Jessicurl’s products and have really loved them, esp. Rockin’ Ringlets. They smell wonderful!

• 5. CurlyMary  |  October 26, 2007 at 3:39 pm

I agree about NaturallyCurly.com. It’s awesome, and gives a variety of viewpoints.

• 6. Wet Hair. Does it offend you? « Mythbuster Beauty  |  August 8, 2008 at 11:20 am

[…] 8, 2008 Since adopting the naturally curly hair care method I have avoided using the blow dryer.  It has been over a year since I have used a blow dryer to […]

• 7. Cheap Cosmetics Review  |  March 9, 2010 at 8:42 am

Suitable Hair Gels for the Curly Girl Method…

If you too are following the CG method, you would already know that a very important part of our daily routine, after co-wash and conditioning, is to apply a hair gel and then “plop” our hair for about 30 minutes. For those of you who are u…