Drug Store Mineral Makeup: Maybe Not So Good

October 5, 2007 at 3:23 pm 8 comments

After discussing the Drug Store Loose Mineral Brands vs. the ever popular Bare Escentuals, I did some further research and want to mention updates on three different mineral makeups:

1. Physician’s Formula Mineral Wear: *Read Comment Below

At Costco today, I spied a Physician’s Formula Mineral Wear set for about $13.00. The package looks very compelling and includes the face powder foundation and an eye shadow duo. It’s a good price, but if you don’t love it, Costco has an amazing return policy. Just GO EASY on the application! You might want to invest in a high quality kabuki brush to go with it since the price is so reasonable.

2. L’Oreal Bare Naturale:

Clever packaging, with a very cool container and cute little kabuki brush on the top. You think you can trust a name like L’Oreal, but it contains TALC. Not only goes on cakey, can clog pores and trigger breakouts, yuck!

3. Sheer Cover:

I personally tried Sheer Cover a few years ago and had an awful experience with it. The shades did not match my skin well, it went on very heavy, and the brush stinks! You can buy this brand everywhere nowadays, not just on TV infomercials for about $30. Reviewers either love it or detest it. No middle ground with this product.

Recently, I was talking with a woman at our local Target who had clearly overdone it with her foundation, her face looked overly matte and dry, and radiated with an odd orange hue. She proudly announced she was trying “Sheer Cover” and had I heard about it? I quickly tried to change the subject…

If you are like me, you have facial imperfections you are wanting to hide. I have tried so many products that promise a natural feel and great coverage, and after using them are disappointed with the results.

“No orange chalky face please!”

Don’t despair! There are some fabulous foundations out there, every skin is different and hopefully this information can help you find your dream foundation! Some of us really look fabulous using mineral makeup foundations, while others fair better with a liquid or creamy based foundation.

If you are going to use Mineral Foundation, just follow some simple rules:

1. Moisturize and/or use a primer before applying your mineral foundation
  2. Look out for TALC in the ingredients list
  3. Use a high quality kabuki brush (like B.E.’s, Smashbox, Cat Cosmetics, etc..)
  4. You might need to combine two shades to get a good match
  5. Apply sparingly! tap off the excess and avoid your eye areas
  6. Top it off with a spritz of LooseLipsNY‘s Perfect Finish Setting Spray, a light dusting of B.E.’s Mineral Veil, or translucent powder
  7. Try using blotting papers during the day; avoid applying more powder to combat oilies!

*MBB’s Best Bets:
Originally, I had recommended this product by Physician’s Formula, but after a comment made by Sarah, take caution with Mineral Wear and keep your receipt!

Maybelline’s new Mineral Makeup Foundations are getting some favorable reviews.  Definitely worth considering.

Entry filed under: Skincare, Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Thirteen on Thursday Should we judge our next President by their laugh?

• 1. Sarah  |  October 5, 2007 at 4:02 pm

It’s amazing how people react to different prodcuts.

My mother-in-law loves the L’oreal Bare Naturale, and I can’t stand the Physician’s Formula Mineral wear. It’s hard to make my pale skin look chalky, but that did – even with a Cat Cosmetics Kabuki brush, which I love.

• 2. jen38  |  October 5, 2007 at 4:10 pm

Thanks so much for commenting Sarah.

Sounds like you really know your mineral makeup. I have heard a few others comment on how much they love L’Oreal’s as well, if it works for your MIL, and doesn’t cause her to break out, great!

What is your favorite mineral makeup? I personally haven’t tried the Physician’s Formula so I am glad to hear your comment on it. I hate that chalky look and if that was your result, yikes! Maybe I should take off my MBB Best bet rating! You Rock! Jen

• 3. Sarah  |  October 5, 2007 at 5:04 pm

Thanks for your comment on my blog Jen.

BE and Lumiere are my favorites – I think the Lumiere looks better, but the BE covers my broken capillaries and other imperfections better.

I should probably try to use BE as a spot concealor, then use Lumiere on my whole face, but I just thought of that now, lol.

• 4. Candie  |  October 20, 2007 at 2:13 am

I personally have had a few issues with these types of makeup. I’ve had the Physicians formula around for years never reallly noticed it and only used it if I were out of my own. So this past summer I’m at Sephora and was talked into the Bare Essentials by my daughter and the makeup artist. Only they were out of my color and I didn’t have any other in the house so she ended up giving me a sample of the powder. I didn’t have all the fancy potions that you put on before and after that come in the kit. I also didn’t have the proper bush to put it on with. i ended up buying every little piece of the kit separately and finally being happy with the makeup after trying it for about three different weeks. Now that I’ve got the kit (Bare Essentials) now I can wear it very happily. It really does have excellent coverage and it makes a person look airbrushed. I am now going to try Mineral Wear Makeup – hope it works as good as the Bare Essentials cause they seem to have this lovely on line plan that will keep me right up to the minute!!

Finally a makeup I can look like a hollywood star in!!

Xoxo!!

Candie! ;-0

• 5. Candie  |  October 20, 2007 at 2:17 am

Pardon me, that brand I’m going to try is “Sheer Cover” mineral Makeup. I’ll let you know if it works as well as the Bare Essentials!

Candie!

• 6. jen38  |  October 20, 2007 at 3:14 pm

Thanks for your comments Candie, and best wishes with Sheer Cover.

You are familiar with the routine, but remember to use sparingly and apply with a good quality kabuki brush. I personally did not like Sheer Cover because it didn’t match my skin tone very well, but many people love it. Tell me how it goes!

Best, Jen

• 7. Ann  |  December 7, 2007 at 8:57 am

To the chalky with physicians formula, I too had this chalky problem with very light skin, but all you need to do is go for a darker shade. Same thing with Loreal, the match for my skin was the lightest, but the next shade darker looked wayy better!

Oh, and putting on a little baby powder will keep away the oilies!!

(also, try using loreal’s brush with physician forms powder, the physician brush makes the powder look bad on your face, NOT light and fluffy!)

• 8. Luckygal79  |  December 23, 2007 at 5:57 pm

Personally, I really like the Physician’s Formula Mineral Wear. I use the liquid foundation and apply the loose powder over it with a big, soft powder brush. It never looks chalky, and I have light skin as well. One last thought: don’t use the sponge applicator on the liquid foundation. It goes on really uneven, I just use my fingers and the coverage is much nicer.