Bare Escentuals VS. Drug Store brand Mineral Makeup
I use Bare Minerals now and love it. It seems to last a really long time for the money, but its a huge ouch in the pocket book to buy it. So…what info do you have? As a favor to my friends who want to know if target & drug store brands are any good?
This type of question really gets me excited. Sure, Bare Escentuals is a wonderful cosmetic line. But at $25 a pop, we must ask, “Wouldn’t it be nice to know if anything at the drug store might suffice?”
The best source of information on the Internet answered this question directly. It was an article written by Jazmin from Makeup Moxie entitled, “What’s the Best Drugstore Mineral Makeup?” She compared the quality, price, and value for 7 different drug store cosmetic mineral lines.
And the winner might surprise you! Jazmin claims that the best drug store mineral foundation is Milani Minerals Loose Makeup, but it is poorly packaged. IsaDora Mineral Foundation came in close second. Walgreens is currently discontinuing the entire IsaDora line and they are marked at clearance prices, about $8.00 for .28 ounces. This would be a great time to try IsaDora! Do not bother with Neutrogena, it rated as one of the worst for value and performance. L’Oreal’s was okay, but contains TALC, goes on heavy, and caked in hot weather conditions. The Almay line performed better, but it had weird container issues like Milani’s. Another mediocre performer was Physician’s Formula’s mineral makeup.
If you love Bare Escentuals bare Minerals, here are some products you might also think about:
Bare Escentuals Prime Time – this amazing primer prepares skin, has antioxidants, and smooths the skins surface . Making their mineral foundation look even better.
Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil – finish off with this oil-absorbing light diffusing powder and really get that soft focus camera lens look.
Other Mineral Makeup Lines to consider:
- Everyday Minerals: Offering free samples on their website. I ordered their samples and have been very pleased, this mineral line is fabulous. You can read my review about Everyday Minerals.
- LooseLipsNy.com: Sherry sent me free samples of their Mineral Loose Powder Foundation and Mineral Shimmer Powder. Visit and tell them Jen at MBB sent you! You can also receive $10 off when you purchase both their signature mineral foundation and kabuki brush together. Simply use the code kabuki10 at checkout.
- Alison Rafaelle Mineral Foundation – her concealer is heavenly and feels like silk; it heals as it covers. I would imagine her mineral line is equally as fabulous. Alison Rafaelle has redesigned her entire cosmetic line and it will be released on March 3, 2008. I cannot wait to try it.
- e.l.f cosmetics loose mineral foundation – good recommendations and only $5.00!
- Maybelline’s Mineral Power™ Natural Perfecting Powder & Liquid Foundation is getting a lot of favorable reviews for being a great mineral based foundation at a great price. Check out this offer for a free sample at Bionic Beauty: “Yet Another Freebie of Maybelline’s Mineral Power Makeup.” I just read a thumbs down review from the Mineral Makeup Blog. As with all makeup reviewers, not everyone agrees on what they like or dislike!
Actually, I am not a huge fan of the loose mineral foundations. I have tried minerals at different times with mixed results. I don’t like the powdery, too-matte look. If you have fine lines/wrinkles, dryness or patchy skin, mineral foundations can accentuate them. Right now I have been using two wonderful water-based foundations, Tarte’s Smooth Operator, and Model Co 3 in 1 foundation. I love the feel and coverage of these foundations, but usually by noon have “oilies” breaking through. Combination skin can be tricky!
However, the beauty addict in me is thinking. If I use mineral makeup with a primer?…Hmmm…Maybe, it is time to give mineral makeup another try!
Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: Acne, aging, Almay, Bare Escentuals, bare minerals, cat cosmetics, Cosmetics, Everyday Minerals, Foundations, freebies, i.d., kabuki brush, L'Oreal, Loose Minerals, makeup, Maybelline, Milani, mineral based foundation, Mineral Makeup, perfecting, Physician's Formula, Primers, Reviews, samples, Skincare, sunscreen, sunscreens.